Cabin takes major damage after grill placed too close to property

The fire was reported on Saturday morning.
Author:
Publish date:
Cabin fire

A lake home in central Minnesota took some substantial damage in a fire caused by a grill being left too close to the property.

The Stearns County Sheriff's Office says the fire was reported just before 9 a.m. Saturday south of Paynesville, with the cabin located at the western end of Lake Koronis.

The homeowner was grilling on the lower patio of his home when the grill caught fire, which is believed to have started at the propane tank nozzle.

The homeowner evacuated his house and the neighboring property and called 911.

"The residence caught fire due the proximity of the grill to the residence," the sheriff's office said, noting that the fire traveled up the wall and through the deck on the north side of the house.

The Paynesville Fire Department extinguished the fire, and at this stage there's no estimate of how much damage it caused.

Fortunately, there were no injuries reported.

Sign up: Subscribe to our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

According to SFGate, you should place your grill at least 10 feet from buildings and other structures.

It also recommends that grills be placed on a "flat, stable, non flammable base or platform" for maximum safety, such as brick pavers or a slab of cement.

Next Up

Related