Cabin takes major damage after grill placed too close to property

The fire was reported on Saturday morning.
Author:
Publish date:
Cabin fire

A lake home in central Minnesota took some substantial damage in a fire caused by a grill being left too close to the property.

The Stearns County Sheriff's Office says the fire was reported just before 9 a.m. Saturday south of Paynesville, with the cabin located at the western end of Lake Koronis.

The homeowner was grilling on the lower patio of his home when the grill caught fire, which is believed to have started at the propane tank nozzle.

The homeowner evacuated his house and the neighboring property and called 911.

"The residence caught fire due the proximity of the grill to the residence," the sheriff's office said, noting that the fire traveled up the wall and through the deck on the north side of the house.

The Paynesville Fire Department extinguished the fire, and at this stage there's no estimate of how much damage it caused.

Fortunately, there were no injuries reported.

Sign up: Subscribe to our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

According to SFGate, you should place your grill at least 10 feet from buildings and other structures.

It also recommends that grills be placed on a "flat, stable, non flammable base or platform" for maximum safety, such as brick pavers or a slab of cement.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.21.08 AM

Baby steals the show in Minnesota family's viral TikTok video

Definitely busting out that wobbly baby move at the next party...

George Floyd protest

Activist groups release 'The People's Budget,' call for $53M Minneapolis police cuts

The People's Budget, spearheaded by Black Visions Collective and Reclaim the Block, would cut more than $53 million from MPD's budget.

Ambulance hospital emergency

Man dies weeks after November mini bike crash in Lakeville

The crash involved in mini bike and a van in Lakeville on Nov. 9.

gov. tim walz

Walz to be joined by first responders at COVID press conference Wednesday

Some departments have been forced to shift staffing or suspend service due to COVID-19.

Eddie Rosario

Report: Twins place Eddie Rosario on outright waivers

The outfielder's time with the team appears to be coming to an end.

radio station, microphone

Christian music broadcaster revealed as buyers of Go Radio

Educational Media Foundation. operates the K-Love brand, which has a presence already in the Twin Cities.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 5.04.39 PM

St. Paul police chief reportedly fires officer who shot naked, unarmed man

Chief Todd Axtell said the officer's use of force was not reasonable.

Trevor May

Report: Trevor May leaving Twins to sign with Mets

The right-hander will sign a two-year deal to head to New York

Car crash

'Grim' milestone: Minnesota's traffic deaths reach 364, tying 2019 total

“With fewer vehicles on the road during the 2020 pandemic, the loss of life on Minnesota roads is beyond disappointing."

Related

Ultimate Sports Bar

Crews at scene of major fire at Waite Park sports bar

The fire broke out shortly before 9 a.m.

Rochester hotel evacuated after restaurant fire causes $100k in damage

The Post Bulletin reports oil in a fryer caught fire early Saturday morning. Guests at the Days Inn, above the downtown restaurant, were forced to evacuate for about two hours. Fortunately no was injured.

Man sets fire to cabin, argues with parents, assaults deputy

The deputy required hospital treatment after the assault.

Minnetonka house fire

More details emerge about Lake Minnetonka property destroyed in fire

An under construction house caught fire on Wednesday evening.