Charges: Ex-worker threatened to bomb Hennepin County facility

The 65-year-old and his girlfriend said they planned to sue the county.
Author:
Publish date:
telephone-586268_1280

The man charged with calling in a bomb threat to a Hennepin County public works facility was caught after the staff member who took the call recognized his voice.

Anthony Romano, 65, of Minneapolis, has been charged with two counts of making terroristic threats and will make his first court appearance Friday afternoon.

He was arrested on Tuesday, with a police search of his home in the Standish Green Condo complex in south Minneapolis finding several guns, ammunition and a crossbow within.

It came after Hennepin County's public works building in Medina, which employs 250 people in the county's transportation and emergency management departments, received a call that same morning from Romano.

According to the criminal complaint, the woman who answered the phone was told to get out of the building "because there was a bomb."

The caller hung up, but called back a short time later and spoke to the same woman, telling her "there were bombs attached to the fleet of trucks outside the building."

The woman who took the call recognized the voice as Romano's, as he had previously worked at the facility for 26 years up till this past September.

Follow Bring Me The News on Flipboard

Romano also told her that he and his girlfriend, who had also worked in the department until recently, planned to file a lawsuit against the county.

He was arrested after the woman reported the threat to her manager and police were called.

Romano allegedly told deputies when he was being arrested that he had called the public works facility, but denied making any threats.

Next Up

Jared Vanderbilt

Shorthanded Timberwolves fall to Atlanta in Monday matinee

D'Angelo Russell scored 31 points, but didn't have much help.

police lights

Man, 72, critical after possible robbery outside Minneapolis business

The 72-year-old sustained gunshot wounds in the incident.

vaccine

It could take months to vaccinate MN teachers, people 65 and older

"This is going to be harder than going to Ticketmaster and trying to get Bruce Springsteen tickets," Walz said.

Herb Brooks statue

Trump's planned statue garden would include 2 Minnesotans, others with MN links

But there were some notable names absent from the wide-ranging and eclectic list.

k9 zeke

Petition seeks to allow retired Corcoran officer to keep K9 partner

Corcoran's public safety director says if K9 Zeke is donated to the officer it will be a loss for the department.

covid

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Monday, Jan. 18

The latest update from the Minnesota Department of Health.

Tom Kelly Jr.

Tom Kelly Jr., son of Twins World Series manager, dies at 42

He was a member of the 2001 UST national championship team.

Hennepin County CSI

Police: Man shot in the head by woman in Richfield

It happened in the early hours of Monday.

University of St. Thomas

St. Thomas students robbed by suspects in ski masks

Nobody was injured in the early Saturday incident.

Related

Man arrested after bomb threat at Hennepin County Public Works

The bomb threat was called in Tuesday afternoon.

Hennepin County deputy charged with child sex crimes

The 60 year old was caught in a sting operation.

Eric Andrew Nelson

Racist charged with threatening Black people with knife in St. Paul

The 36-year-old white man was arrested on June 19.

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 11.23.50 AM

Stink bomb causes evacuation of anti-abortion event in Rochester

A 19-year-old man is being held on terroristic threats, assault and public nuisance charges.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 10.45.20 AM

Street closed in Superior after police receive 'credible bomb threat'

Superior Mayor Jim Paine made the announcement Tuesday morning.

Michael Samuel Butler

Charges: Fired employee planned to shoot Minneapolis co-workers

The man worked for Minneapolis Public Water Works Treatment and Distribution Service.

University of St. Thomas

St. Thomas student charged over hoax bomb threats against the university

The 20-year-old from Blaine is facing federal charges.

All-clear given in Eyota after bomb threat

Residents had been told to stay away.