A 22-year-old man has been charged with two rapes he allegedly committed while out on bail for an attempted sexual assault.
Johnny Odir De Leon, of 3rd Avenue South in Minneapolis, is accused of raping two women on May 19 and June 19, having been released on bail following an arrest for 2nd-degree criminal sexual conduct in December.
In the May 19 incident, De Leon picked up a woman for sex at 34th Street East and Clinton Avenue South in the early hours of the morning, a criminal complaint says.
Driving a yellow Chevy, he discussed payment for sexual services with the woman and then they moved to the back seat.
During the course of the encounter, De Leon gripped the victim's throat, before aggressively sexually assaulting her despite the woman saying that she didn't want to go ahead with it.
When she objected, he allegedly said: "Well you shouldn't pick my car ... next time you see me, don't pick my car."
The victim, who was crying during the assault, managed to take a picture of his license plate after he dropped her off a few blocks away, and was able to identify him from police photos on July 1.
In the June 19 incident, De Leon spoke with a woman who was walking to Cub Foods at Lake Street East and 5th Avenue South, and offered her a ride to the store.
He then drove her to a parking lot near 28th Street East and Longfellow Avenue South, at which point he took a gun and a pocket knife out, and raped the woman.
She reported it to police two days later, with the victim able to give officers samples of the man's DNA and the license plate of the car, which matched the Chevy owned by De Leon.
He was then identified by the victim in a police lineup.
KSTP reports that De Leon had been bailed after being charged with 2nd-degree criminal sexual conduct over an attack in December, when a woman asked him for a cigarette and followed him to his vehicle, where he began assaulting her and tried to pull down her pants.
She managed to get away when her screams caught the attention of some men walking in the area.
He's now facing two more charges for the May and June assaults, of 1st- and 3rd-degree criminal sexual conduct.
His bail has now been set at $750,000.