Health officials have confirmed that two people have been told to self-quarantine themselves for two weeks after arriving at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The Minnesota Department of Health confirmed the move on Wednesday, saying the travelers in question had had close contact with someone in Europe who had contracted COVID-19.
The two travelers haven't yet tested positive for the virus and didn't show any symptoms, but are being isolated so it can be determined if they have it or not.
Other passengers will be notified if anyone on the flight tests positive for the virus.
"The measures taken to isolate and monitor potentially exposed passengers are designed to keep the risk of spread to others as low as possible," the health department said.
The department was notified about the cases by the Centers for Disease Control, which is operating a quarantine station at MSP.
On Wednesday, Minnesota Department of Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm said there have been 13 negative tests for coronavirus in Minnesota so far.
But officials have long warned that the arrival of the virus in Minnesota is inevitable, especially with more cases being confirmed in other states.
Once again, people are being reminded to take some basic precautions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water regularly, especially after touching surfaces.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your elbow – not your hand.
- Try not to touch your nose, mouth or eyes.
- Stay home when sick.