Twenty-four more people in Minnesota have succumbed to COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has now killed 395 Minnesotans, according to the latest information released Saturday morning by the state health department.
There was a rise of 498 positive cases in Minnesota after a further 4,178 tests were performed in the latest reporting period. The state's goal is to ramp up testing until there are 20,000 done per day.
Health officials on Thursday said that from here on out, a more accurate measure of the extent of coronavirus in Minnesota will be the number of deaths, hospitalizations, and ICU patients.
As of 4 p.m. Friday, there were 389 people hospitalized, a rise of 20, of which 135 are in intensive care, an increase of 17.
- Confirmed cases: 6,228 (up from 5,730)
- Deaths: 395 (up from 371)
- Still hospitalized: 389 (up from 369)
- Patients in intensive care: 135 (up from 118).
- Patient recoveries: 2,397
Hennepin County has had 259 deaths from 1,980 confirmed cases to lead the state, but the second-leading county for positive tests is Nobles County, which has seen its case total rise to 899, mostly linked to an outbreak at the now-closed JBS pork plant in Worthington.
Counties with other meat plant outbreaks include Stearns County (531 cases, up from 435) and Kandiyohi County (145 cases, up from 135).
A collaboration between Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota is expected to have the state testing 20,000 patients per day within 2-3 weeks. Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm said last week not to be surprised if the number of confirmed cases in a single day reaches 1,000 as testing advances.
The age range for confirmed cases has been as young as under 1-month-old to 109 years old, with a median age of 48. The median age of persons who have died from the disease is 83. The youngest person to die in Minnesota was a 30-year-old.