Skip to main content

Coronavirus: Minneapolis to close access to bars, restaurants starting Tuesday

A number of Twin Cities bars have already shuttered.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:
restaurant-602894_1280

UPDATE:

Dine-in service will no longer be allowed at all Minnesota bars and restaurants. Curbside pick-up, delivery and drive-thru orders will still be allowed. The latest on the situation here

UPDATE: 

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey has enacted a local state of emergency that will limit access to the city's bars and restaurants.

The mayor says that food establishments will only be able to provide takeout, delivery and drive-thru services starting noon on Tuesday.

The city will also no longer issue permits for gatherings of 50 or more people, though since then President Trump has said the government advises against gatherings of 10 or more people.

While it's not known in which cities confirmed COVID-19 cases are located, Hennepin County has the most cases out of any county in the state.

1:30 p.m.⁩

Discussions are ongoing between health officials and the governor's office about the possible closure of Minnesota's bars and restaurants in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

States including New York, Ohio, Illinois and California have already taken the step of ordering the shutdown of bars and restaurants amid efforts to limit the amount of social gatherings.

Minnesota has not followed suit yet, but Gov. Tim Walz said on Sunday this "may become an option" for the state.

On Monday, the director of Minnesota Department of Health's infectious disease department Kris Ehresmann had this to say.

"We are in discussion with the governor's office on that," she said. "That is something we are having conversations about."

Ehresmann didn't elaborate further, but the decision to shut down bars and restaurants has been seen in numerous countries and states with more established coronavirus numbers.

Minnesota now has 54 confirmed cases of COVID-19, a rise of 19 since Sunday.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

On Sunday, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) updated its guidance to start advising the postponement of events where more than 50 people are gathering.

It follows a weekend in which several bars and restaurants across the Twin Cities were still packed with people despite the recommendation from health officials that people stay home, or to practice social distancing in the event they do go out.

A number of bars and restaurants in the Twin Cities are not waiting for the state to impose a shutdown. Among those announcing their closure are The Bachelor Farmer in the Minneapolis' North Loop, all Punch Pizza locations, and Hot Indian's three locations. 

Ehresmann said that smaller events, with fewer than 50 people, should not be held unless it's possible for social distancing, ie. six feet between people.

Next Up

Kirill Kaprizov

MacKinnon's controversial goal helps Avalanche top Wild

Kirill Kaprizov's two goals were spoiled by a questionable call.

powell itasca jail jan 2022 resize

Attorney accused of sex assault misses hearing, DMs judge

He was arrested the next day after a warrant was issued,

lorie shaull vulcan snow park st paul winter carnival 2018

Winter Carnival: Get vaccinated or test negative before coming

Organizers are also reminding people to be mindful of the city's emergency regulations.

hospital, emergency room

Driver, 15 years old, hurt when car collides with SUV

The road was wet at the time, the State Patrol said.

Tyler Wahl

Minnesotans have the Badgers back in the national spotlight

Three of Wisconsin's four leading scorers are from Minnesota.

Francisco Liriano

Liriano retires: Remembering his meteoric rise as a rookie

There was no one better than Liriano from mid-May to late-July in 2006.

Related

restaurant-602894_1280

58 bars, restaurants added to list of those linked to COVID-19 outbreaks

The Minnesota Department of Health has recorded 117 bars and restaurants tied to coronavirus outbreaks.

restaurant-602894_1280

39 restaurants, bars linked to COVID-19 outbreaks so far this year

The number of outbreaks is far fewer than at the peak in November when there were 237 reported outbreaks in restaurants/bars.

Governor Tim Walz

Walz set to announce 4-week closure for bars, restaurants, gyms

Details have started coming out about the governor's announcement.

restaurant patio

Walz to reopen outdoor seating at restaurants, allow larger holiday gatherings

Some venues have been making outdoor seating work using patio heaters in recent months.

Muddy Waters, coronavirus, covid-19

Walz: Change to restaurant, bar guidance unlikely before June 1

Churches can allow 25% capacity up to 250 people, but bars and restaurants can only serve a max of 50 customers outside only.

Walz

Walz to announce new COVID-19 restrictions at Tuesday press conference

He will reportedly reduce the opening hours of bars and restaurants.

Despite pleas for social distancing, Minnesotans still crowding into bars

There are calls for city and state leaders to impose tougher lockdowns.

peanut-butter-sandwich-4546397_1280

Coronavirus: These Twin Cities restaurants are offering free food for kids

The restaurant industry is stepping up as schools shut down.