Coronavirus: Minneapolis to reveal its plans for bars and restaurants at press conference

City leaders will hold a 2 p.m. press conference.
Author:
Publish date:
Patio table outdoor dining

Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey and other leaders will reveal a plan for the reopening of the city's restaurant and bars following Gov. Tim Walz's loosening of COVID-19 restrictions to allow patio dining.

The mayor will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. when he will reveal the details behind his latest Emergency Regulation – numbered 2020-13 – which will include "several measures to help businesses take advantage of outdoor space with more commercial activity set to resume June 1."

Gov. Walz says restaurants and bars will be allowed to offer patio service to up to 50 customers at a time starting June 1, and his administration has called on cities and municipalities to take steps to allow eateries to expand their patio service by opening up sidewalks, parking lots, and bike lanes for seating.

Minneapolis, whose thriving gastronomic scene is being significantly depleted due to the pandemic, will reveal what efforts it will make to allow bars and restaurants to accommodate outdoor diners, which will include waiving fees associated with patio expansions.

Frey will be joined at the press conference by Sam Turner, of Nicollet Diner, and Stephanie Shimp, of Blue Plate Co. restaurant group, which has several eateries in Minneapolis.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

The mayor will also talk about "Minneapolis First," the city's "overarching plan and framework to move through and emerge from the pandemic."

Some restaurants, including Common Roots Cafe and Bunny's Northeast, have said they won't reopen on June 1 even with patio dining being allowed, instead choosing to wait either until the worst of the pandemic is passed in Minnesota, or dine-in service is once again allowed.

You can find a full list of restaurants that have closed so far in Minnesota here.

Next Up

Related