Couple charged after 1-year-old ingests fentanyl

They claimed the unresponsive child had consumed Tylenol.
Author:
Publish date:

A St. Louis Park couple is being charged with child endangerment and neglect after their 1-year-old child ingested the deadly opioid, fentanyl. 

According to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, police received a call on Oct. 3 about an unresponsive baby and responded to the St. Louis Park apartment Deja Harper, 28, and Waymon Murphy, 25, were at. 

Harper told police the child had likely swallowed aspirin because Murphy had taken Tylenol earlier and forgot to put the bottle away, the news release says. According to the complaint, the couple saw a tablet in the baby's mouth and removed it. 

The baby was struggling to breath and unresponsive, so paramedics took him to the hospital. The child's symptoms were inconsistent with Tylenol ingestion, although the complaint states Harper and Murphy insisted that the child only consumed aspirin. 

Toxicological tests revealed the child had consumed fentanyl, and a search of the couple's home found fentanyl pills in a pair of men's shoes. Officials also issued a drug test for the couple. 

Sign up: Subscribe to our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Murphy tested positive for fentanyl but Harper's sample was tampered with and could not be analyzed, the release states.

Harper and Murphy made their first court appearance on Monday. 

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine. 

Next Up

Related