Skip to main content

Update: Gas line leak near St. Paul high school fixed, residents return to homes

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Officials have given the "all clear" after a natural gas line leak in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul Monday afternoon.

A 2-inch gas line was struck by a contractor at Warwick Street and Randolph Avenue shortly after 2 p.m., just north of Cretin-Derham Hall High School, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.

Streets in the area were blocked off and residents living nearby were evacuated from 10 houses and three apartment buildings, the St. Paul Fire Department said, according to MPR News

Xcel Energy crews arrived and clamped off the leaking gas line.

Then fire officials check gas levels in all the residences before the occupants were allowed to return home.

The fire department says the contractor was installing new gas lines into some homes in the area when the accident occurred.

Next Up

target

Target profits plunge as it takes hit from shedding excess goods

The retailer announced earlier this year it would be slashing prices.

police lights

Las Vegas man identified as victim killed near 38th and Chicago

The 25-year-old died at the scene Sunday afternoon.

unnamed-5

Beloved Eagan Dairy Queen says goodbye

A summer staple has shuttered in Eagan.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.44.22 PM (2)

Bridge damage closes westbound Hwy. 62 between Richfield, Edina

The Minnesota Department of Transportation said bridge maintenance work is in progress.

Michael Miller

Charges: Drunk driver killed former chair of Hibbing Chamber of Commerce

Michael Miller's blood-alcohol content was nearly three times the legal limit at the time of the crash.

Mystic Lake

Charges: Man attacked Mystic Lake security with 2x4

A chaotic scene unfolded after the man approached the bell stand late Friday.

Related

Update: All clear after Mpls. gas leak near U of M

Buildings were evacuated, streets closed

Gas leak, cigarette possibly caused house explosion

A neighbor rushed to the aid of a family whose house exploded in Tracy over the weekend, charging into the burning home to save a baby. The mother and three daughters who lived there were badly injured. Neighbors said the woman told them she had lit a cigarette prior to the blast.