Skip to main content

Crookston couple dead from possible carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A Crookston couple were found dead in their home, and two of their daughters were sickened early Monday morning, possibly because of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Fargo Forum reports.

Kent Ostgaard, 49, and Natalie Ostgaard, 51, were pronounced dead at the scene. Their daughter, 22-year-old Aryanna Ostgaard, was found unconscious but breathing. She is in critical condition at Altru Hospital in Grand Forks, according to Polk County Sheriff's Deputy Jim Tadman.

The Ostgaards' youngest daughter, Gabi, 17, called 911 at 7:49 a.m. to alert authorities, and she was found in the home still conscious. She was treated and released, Tadman told the Fargo Forum.

The Ostgaards' middle child, Cyrina, attends the University of Minnesota Duluth, the Crookston Times reports.

The furnace in the home was off, the Times reports, and a Facebook post from Natalie Ostgaard on Feb. 24 indicated that a part was needed to fix it. The next day, she posted an update saying the family was using other means to keep the house warm.

"We managed to make do with fireplaces, electric stove, blankets and the two heaters we have. Hoping this will be adequate until furnace is fixed!" her post said, according to the Crookston Times.

Crookston firefighters and ambulance crews responded, along with Polk County deputies, because the home is just outside Crookston city limits. Authorities continue to investigate the case, and the bodies of the Ostgaards will be autopsied to determine the exact cause of death.

The below-normal temperatures this winter have led to a series of carbon monoxide cases in the area. The higher cost of heating fuels and a shortage of propane have led some people to use fireplaces, ovens and even charcoal grills to heat their homes.

The Minnesota Department of Health says because carbon monoxide has no color or taste it cannot be detected by human senses. It can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained.

Health officials estimate that unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide accounts for 500 deaths in the United States each year.

To reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, they recommend making sure all appliances and heating devices are properly vented, knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and installing and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors in your home in accordance with state laws.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 4.04.40 PM

Ramen bar announced for upcoming Eat Street Crossing food hall

The restaurant roster is filling up at Eat Street Crossing.

police lights squad car dark - Unsplash

Man dies after being shot during argument in Minneapolis

It's the 70th homicide in Minneapolis this year.


Minneapolis police, city employees clear out Near North encampment

This comes as colder weather moves through the state.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 4.32.46 PM

New T.J. Maxx to open in the Twin Cities this month

Opening day will kick off with extended hours.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 3.04.24 PM

Former Hennepin County commissioner arrested for DWI

The 61-year-old was being held in Hennepin County Jail as of Thursday morning.

Evie Carshare

Electric carshare network showing growth in Twin Cities

Over 25,000 trips have been logged in a six-month span.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 1.11.01 PM

Popular Apple Valley ice arena could be replaced

A concept plan to transform the ice arena is being considered.


Low river levels bring cancellations for St. Paul-New Orleans Viking cruises

The low water also impacted some barge traffic making its way down the river.

10.6 Tempest Weather Thumbnail

Drought tightens grip as Twin Cities reaches 'extreme' level

By this time last year, drought was fading fast in Minnesota.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 11.23.49 AM

Woman missing since car crash has been found

The 49-year-old is believed to have been driving when the crash happened.