Rescuer workers from the Roseville Fire Department were called to action Thursday when a cross-country skier fell through thin ice.
It happened around 4:30 p.m. on Lake McCarrons. Firefighters were able to pull the person from the water and no one was injured, but it's another reminder that ice thickness can vary wildly across small areas of a lake.
According to the Minnesota DNR, ice should never be considered 100 percent safe, and it's wise to know the general ice thickness safety guidelines:
- Under 4 inches - stay off
- 4 inches - Ice fishing or other activities on foot
- 5-7 inches - Snowmobile or ATV
- 8-12 inches - Car or small pickup
- 12-15 inches - Medium truck