Drunk-driver rams sergeant's squad car, possibly deliberately - Bring Me The News

Drunk-driver rams sergeant's squad car, possibly deliberately

Fortunately, the St. Louis County deputy was uninjured.
Publish date:

A deputy in St. Louis County was hit by an alleged drunk driver, who may have struck his squad car intentionally.

The incident happened at 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday, when a Patrol Sergeant was on patrol on Highway 8 in Industrial Township, about 30 miles northwest of Duluth.

The sergeant noticed a vehicle traveling straight towards him on the wrong side of the road.

It was failing to correct its lanes and also ran a stop sign.

The sergeant stopped and began reversing to avoid a collision, but despite taking evasive maneuvers and turning on his emergency lights, his car was hit head on.

Fortunately, the damage to both cars was light, and both the deputy and the alleged drunk driver – a 25-year-old man from nearby Saginaw – were uninjured in the incident.

Follow Bring Me The News on Google News for the latest stories.

The initial investigation by the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office have found that the driver's actions "were possibly intentional," while noting that he was "highly intoxicated."

He was arrested and booked into the St. Louis County Jail for DWI.

Next Up


Carlton County attorney accused of DWI

Thom Pertler, 47, was booked into the St. Louis County Jail on suspicion of drunken driving Tuesday afternoon. The Duluth News Tribune reports the Carlton County attorney refused to submit to a chemical test of his blood, breath or urine. Pertler has been the county attorney since 2005.

Suspected drunk driver arrested in deadly motorcycle crash

A 42-year-old woman is behind bars awaiting possible charges after the sport utility vehicle she was driving collided with a motorcycle Sunday night in Anoka County. Investigators tell the Star Tribune the woman appeared to be intoxicated when she hit and killed both riders on the motorcycle. A 48-year-old man from St. Francis and a 46-year-old woman from Big Lake died at the scene.