A rapid rise in water levels in Sand Creek northeast of Jordan, Minnesota, resulted in water overflowing the creek's banks and spilling into a mobile home park.
At around 5:45 p.m. Thursday, water rushed over Syndicate Street and flooded the northern half of Valley Green Park, forcing Jordan Police Department to evacuate 145 of the approximately 300 homes in the area.
According to KSTP, about 1,000 people are affected by the evacuation.
Once transported out of evacuation zone on buses, 47 people were sheltered at local schools, while the rest spent the night with family or friends. Fifteen pets were also rescued and sent to a shelter until they're reunited with owners.
The flood warning for Sand Creek at Jordan is in effect until Saturday evening, but water levels are expected to fall below flood stage Friday afternoon.
No injuries were reported but the flooded area of Valley Green Park is inundated with 2-3 feet of water as authorities continue to monitor the situation.
Attempts to break up the ice dam in the creek by Jordan and Scott Public Works weren't successful on Thursday night.
The National Weather Service warned about the potential of ice jam flooding on Thursday, saying that water flowing into rivers and streams this week can break up thick ice. When the chunks of ice flow downstream, it can sometimes "jam, or dam up, and cause the water to back up and spill over the banks."
The weather service says ice jam flooding can lead to rapid rises and flooding and it's fairly unpredictable.
Flooded roads widespread across Minnesota
You can check MnDOT's road conditions map for detailed information about all of the roads currently impacted by flooding.
Some state highways are partially or completely closed where flooding is occurring, and in northwest Minnesota whiteout conditions from blowing snow has roads shut down on Friday morning.
Here's a list of state roadways that are closed because of flooding.
– MN 95: Between 80th Street South and 90th Street South (near Cottage Grove).
– US 63 southbound: Between County Road 72 and MN 60 (Zumbro Falls).
– MN 60: Between US 61 and Hiawatha Drive West (Wabasha).
– MN 42: Between T-174 and T-177 (2 miles south of the Kellogg area).
– MN 74: Between County Road 30 (1 mile north of the Elba area) and US 61 (near Minneiska).
– I-90 eastbound: The exit ramp at Hwy. 218 is closed.
– MN 13: Between 330th Avenue and US 14 (near Waseca).
– US 75: Between Iowa State Line (near Steen) and Center Street South (Trosky).