Publish date:

Family's warning after teen's tragic death from CO poisoning at Thanksgiving

A 17-year-old girl from Delano died after Thanksgiving due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A Minnesota family is urging people to check their carbon monoxide detectors in their home after 17-year-old Jenna Fish died of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Jenna, of Delano, died on Nov. 27, according to her obituary. Her family told KSTP she died of carbon monoxide poisoning after a family gathering for Thanksgiving with her mom, brother and grandmother. 

She ended up sleeping in the basement because her dog was snoring too loudly, KSTP said. And when the family woke up around 7 a.m. the next day, they were all sick from carbon monoxide, but Jenna had died. 

"Although the loss of Jenna Grace is a tragedy, her life can serve as a bright light for those who knew her," her obituary says. "Upon reading this tribute, we ask you to check the carbon monoxide levels and install carbon monoxide detectors on all levels of your home."

The family had detectors installed and they were recently checked, but none of them went off, KSTP reported. Multiple agencies are investigating what happened. 

Meanwhile, Jenna is being remembered as "affectionate, brilliant, bright, cheerful, hard-working, witty, generous, and thoughtful," her obituary said, adding: 

"Jenna loved strong hot coffee, cute shoes, baby animals, and bargains. She spent her time reminiscing and laughing with her family, going on 'date nights' with her big brother Kaleb, hanging out with her special friend William, gardening, playing the piano, and working at both the local Kwik Trip and LuceLine Orchard."

While working at LuceLine Orchard in Watertown, she "let her light shine for others," her obituary read, noting she was treated like family and found joy in her work. 

In a statement to Bring Me The News, Terri Traen of LuceLine Orchards said: 

"When Jenna first started working at the orchard she was a quiet, shy young girl who blossomed into an outgoing fun loving young woman in the years she worked here. Jenna and her brother Kaleb were taught how to work and respect others. Which is a reflection of their mother Rachel. Jenna would volunteer to do any job out here even cleaning the bathrooms. No job was beneath her. She always wanted a puppy and the last thing she did shortly before she passed away was hold our new little golden retriever puppy. She was well loved out here and made many friends."

A memorial service for Jenna will be held at LuceLine Orchards on March 2, which would have been her 18th birthday, Traen said. 

"She will be remembered by those who love and admire her for her kind-hearted compassion for others, both her inner and outer beauty, her high standards, and her dedication to both her family and Christ in whom she placed her faith," her obituary adds. 

CO poisoning 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that's formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels, which can build up indoors and there's no way to detect a problem until you become sick (unless you have a working CO detector), the Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) website says.

When people are exposed to CO gas, the molecules displace the oxygen in their bodies, which leads to poisoning. It's estimated that about 400 people die from unintentional CO exposure in the U.S. every year, with about 14 people in Minnesota dying from it a year

MDH says CO poisoning can be prevented by installing a CO alarm and maintaining fuel-burning appliances, such as clothes dryers, water heaters, furnaces/boilers, gas and wood fireplaces, gas stoves and ovens, motor vehicles, grills, generators, power tools, lawn equipment, wood stoves and tobacco smoke. 

For more information, visit the MDH's website on carbon monoxide here

Next Up

Flickr - minneapolis police officer close-up belt camera - Tony Webster

What happens if Mpls. public safety question passes? City memo provides answers

The memo was sent to the mayor and council members Tuesday morning.

Wild

COVID-19 hits Minnesota Wild coaching staff

The Wild will be shorthanded for Tuesday night's game in Vancouver.

Anthony Edwards

Ant takes alpha role after bad loss: 'We need to lock the f*** in'

The Timberwolves' rising star was not happy after Monday's loss to the Pelicans.

parker eisinger

Lakeville football player diagnosed with cancer week before playoffs

The tenth-grader was diagnosed with a form of cancer most commonly found in people aged 65 and older.

University of Minnesota peeping tom suspect

Someone keeps trying to film showering women at U of M

The university has received three reports in the past two weeks.

john Fluevog shoes 1

John Fluevog Shoes closes its Uptown Minneapolis store

The brand could return to the Twin Cities one day.

sidecar drink

Sidecar — Town Hall's new cocktail lounge — is officially open in Minneapolis

It's the fifth Town Hall location, but the first to focus on cocktails.

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.10.30 AM

Here's where DFLers stand on Minneapolis' public safety ballot question

The question would create a Department of Public Safety and remove some requirements.

Arthur Kollie

Man pleads guilty to brutal murder of 14-year-old girl in Fargo

The 14-year-old girl was the victim of a random attack outside a Fargo strip mall.

Minneapolis Mayoral Candidates 2021 - jacob frey sheila nezhad kate knuth

Here's who has endorsed the frontrunners for Minneapolis mayor

Politicians and community groups are voicing their opinions.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, October 26

The latest data for the pandemic in Minnesota.

Related

Twin Cities family seeking help after son dies of CO poisoning

He was a DREAMer and health care worker who had graduated college in December.

Suspected CO poisoning kills woman, 3 officers hospitalized

The woman was found dead in the home on Friday evening.

carbon monoxide

Man, dog die in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The discovery was made in northeastern Minnesota.

carbon monoxide

Six hospitalized with CO poisoning in St. Paul

Children were among those requiring treatment.

Duluth ice arena evacuated, several treated for CO poisoning

About 30 people at a hockey practice at Duluth's Fryberger Arena on Wednesday night were evacuated after several reported symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning, the Duluth News Tribune reports. Officials found elevated blood levels of carbon monoxide in several people, and one was taken to the emergency room.

huge hail

Hail the size of tennis balls, grapefruit slams Minnesota

Watertown and Delano were hammered with very large hail.