Skip to main content

Fargo police: Woman was locked in office with gunman during standoff

  • Author:
  • Updated:

A man is dead following a hours long standoff with police in Fargo.

The incident started Thursday around 4 p.m. when the man – identified as Jon Nathan Casper – walked into a Southeast Human Service Center employee's office.

Police say Casper told the woman he had a gun and made comments about talking his own life or getting police to kill him.

The woman was trapped in the office, but authorities say her coworkers didn't even know that was happening.

In fact, no one realized anything out of the norm was going on until the woman managed text to her husband that she needed help, police say.

The employee's husband called the police and three Fargo police officers went to the scene.

Officials say the officers got to the office around 7 p.m. and knocked on the door.

Casper locked the officers out and put a gun to his own head, the police department said in a news release.

Eventually, police were able to get into the office and get the employee out safely. She was not injured.

However, the Red River Valley SWAT team had to be called in to help with Casper.

Just before 9 p.m., officials say they heard a single gunshot.

An hour later, authorities made it back into the office and found Casper dead. He had an apparent gunshot wound to the head. It's believed to be self-inflicted.

Fargo police say officers did not fire their weapons during the incident. No officers were injured.

"The loss of life in this situation is sad, and I send my condolences to Jon Casper’s family," Chief David Todd said in a Facebook post.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 9.32.09 AM

6-year-old Northfield girl missing, woman dead of apparent suicide

Anyone who had seen the girl or the deceased woman in the past two weeks should call Northfield police.

Pixabay - jet skis resting

Jet skier injured in explosion on Minnesota lake

The explosion happened on Little Lake 14 in St. Louis County.

Krisit Noem

Kristi Noem's response to 10-year-old Ohio girl pregnant after being raped

Abortion is illegal in South Dakota unless the mother's life is in danger.

police lights

Sheriff: Deputy shoots gun-wielding man in western Wisconsin

One deputy fired on the man, striking him in an unknown area of his body.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 7.28.32 AM

Man found dead in 26 inches of water in Le Sueur County

The 45-year-old was found in near the shoreline on Lake Washington.

police lights

Man arrested after abduction attempt in Bemidji

The incident occurred in Cameron Park on June 25.

betty danger's

Betty Danger's in NE Minneapolis for sale for $4.2 million

The asking price includes the restaurant's ferris wheel, as well as a nearby single-family home.


Minnesota health officials warn monkeypox cases could grow rapidly

The state has so far confirmed only six cases of monkeypox virus.


Bodies of woman, three young children recovered from Vadnais Lake

Authorities say the bodies recovered were those of two boys, one girl and their mother.

Pixabay laptop keyboard phone dark

Charges: Duluth man had hundreds of child porn images, videos

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children found nearly 330 images on the man's electronic devices.

hennepin county sheriff water patrol lake minnetonka

Scuba diver found dead in Lake Minnetonka identified as 20-year-old

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said 20-year-old Brady Alan Aune, from Elko New Market, died of freshwater drowning on June 3.


le sueur county sheriff's office

Man shot himself during standoff with police in southern MN

Two kids were in the home for part of a the standoff.

One man is dead in Central Minnesota, officers shoot alleged gunman

The Stearns County Sheriff's Office and Rockville Police Department are investigating a shooting that left one man dead in central Minnesota early Sunday morning. Fox 9 reports deputies found the suspected shooter nearby and shot him at least three times when he didn't listen to commands. Officials say the suspect was taken to St. Cloud Hospital, but there is no word on his condition.