Skip to main content

Fire at Edina business was sparked by a charging smartphone

Sparks came from a worker's phone, igniting nearby combustibles.

Officials in Edina have said that a fire that damaged a business on Bush Lake Road earlier this week was started by a charging cellphone.

The Edina Fire Department was called to employee engagement company BI Worldwide at 7:33 a.m. Tuesday when the building's sprinkler system was triggered.

It was later established that an employee sitting in her cubicle saw sparks coming from her charging cellphone that "quickly ignited nearby combustibles."

Workers were able to extinguish the flames and leave the building, only for the fire to re-ignite before being knocked down by the sprinkler system.

One worker had to be taken to Fairview Southdale Hospital with smoke inhalation.

The fire damage was contained to just four cubicles, but the building itself suffered water and smoke damage.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

"It’s great that BI Worldwide had fire extinguishers in place and employees knew how to use them, but most importantly, employees exited the building and the fire sprinkler system extinguished the fire, keeping the fire damage to a minimum, which will allow them to reoccupy this building sometime soon,” said Fire Marshal Rick Hammerschmidt in a press release.

"This is another great example of the value of having a fire sprinkler system in a building or in a home. If this building didn’t have a fire sprinkler system, BI Worldwide may not have been able to reoccupy this building.

"The content damage and impact on business and employees would have been extreme."

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.15.45 PM

Buckeyes crash the glass, fend off Gophers

E.J. Liddell dominated in the paint to help No. 16 Ohio State.

nicolas blouin flickr fire hose

Fire departments decry drivers running over hoses, endangering crews

It happened in two separate Northland cities this week.

All Energy Solar - Bringing Panels to Roof

All Energy Solar reaches growth milestones with higher goals yet for 2022

Minnesota solar company continues to thrive through building a strong workforce

Royal Canadian Mounted Police maintoba crossing crop

Authorities ID family found frozen to death at MN-Canada border

They're still trying to unravel how they got there and who might have helped them.

covid

Mayo Clinic specialist: 'The omicron surge is not over'

Experts expect a rapid decline over the next month followed a period of calm.

police lights

Charges: Man in stolen Jeep leads police on 110 mph chase

He crashed into a light post near the Capitol and then fled on foot, the complaint says.

kua dog go fund me

Puppy in back of stolen Audi found, reunited with owner

The 4 1/2-month-old bullmastiff had been missing more than a week.

Fuzzy Gerdes Flickr Franks Diner Kenosha

WI's best 'hole-in-the-wall' diner is Guy Fieri-approved

Come for the "garbage pile," stay for ... even more breakfast food.

FKISmwPWUAYZJW6

Minnesota's pre-pro women's soccer team unveils name, logo

The new name and look was unveiled after community owners voted on a winner.

fentanyl DEA

21 people charged in connection to drug trafficking in northern MN

Police say the organization sold more than 10 pounds of heroin and fentanyl in northern Minnesota.

Band Box Diner Courtney Mault Flickr

MN's 'best hole-in-the-wall diner' is, sadly, currently closed

MSN recently published its pick for best diner in each state.

Related

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 11.05.55 PM

Fire at junk yard causes $800,000-worth of damage

Someone staying in a camper nearby raised the alarm.

1024px-Regis_Salon_Briarwood

Edina's Regis to sell remaining 3,108 company-owned hair salons

The haircare company will go to a fully franchised portfolio.

Barn burns after farmer accidentally sparks fire as he cleared snow

Fortunately, he was able to get the livestock out of the barn in time.

Woman charged with setting fire to downtown Marshalls store

The store only just reopened after the July 15 blaze.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.01.39 PM

2-year-old girl still missing in Edina after overnight search

The toddler walked away from her family on her own Monday afternoon.

Braemar Golf Dome in Edina collapses after fire

The golf dome is closed indefinitely following a fire Friday morning. A spokeswoman with the city says fire crews were dispatched after reports of a gas odor in the area.

Someone stole an Edina nonprofit's giant inflatable colon

It was taken from the back of a pickup in Kansas City.