A crystal ball is being blamed for starting a house fire in Delton, Wisconsin, on Monday.
According to the Delton Fire Department, the homeowner got home and found thick smoke in their house on Fox Hill Road and called 911. The fire department responded around 4:17 p.m. and extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported.
Fire investigators determined a glass "crystal ball" ornament on a table in the living room caused the blaze. When sunlight shone through the large living room windows and through the glass ball, it ignited the nearby couch, causing the fire.
"Homeowners should keep items such as crystals, mirrors, glass ornaments, and even bottles away from direct sunlight and particularly away from anything flammable," the fire department said. "These items can act just like a magnifying glass and focus sunlight so that the energy, which would normally be spread out over a wide area, is delivered to a much smaller point."
The fire was isolated to the living room area, but it caused "substantial heat damage" to the main level of the house, the fire department says. The damage is estimated at $250,000.
Delton is in Sauk County, Wisconsin, about 220 miles east of Minneapolis.