A firework mishap sent a 12-year-old to the hospital Monday in Stearns County.
Around 3 p.m., Stearns County Sheriff's deputies arrived at the St. Stephen residence for a medical call.
The child was inside his garage when "an unknown firework went off in his hand," the sheriff's office said.
North Air helicopter transported him to North Memorial Hospital to treat a "serious hand injury."
A June 2020 report from the Consumer Product Safety Commission says that children younger than 15 accounted for 36 percent of firework injuries in 2019.
Nearly half of the emergency room trips were for people younger than 20, the commission found.