Gas prices in Minnesota have been dropping like a rock during the novel coronavirus crisis, and the prices at a couple of gas stations in Lake City, Minnesota, are so low it'll make your think you're dreaming.
As shown in the image above, prices this week at Kwik Trip in Lake City dipped to $0.78 for a gallon of regular unleaded. According to Gas Buddy, the prices in Lake City on Thursday are now $0.89 at two Kwik Trips in the city, and at $.099 at the city's US Gas location.
Gas Buddy shows that the cheapest gallon of regular unleaded fuel in Minnesota is now in nearby Red Wing, where a VP Racing Fuel is selling it for $0.84.
Prices are around a dollar more expensive in most of the Twin Cities metro area, with some exceptions, of course. Here are the cheapest prices in the following cities:
– Apple Valley: $1.49 at numerous gas stations.
– Blaine: $1.69 at Casey's on Xylite St.
– Chaska: $1.84 at a Holiday on Chaska Blvd.
– Minneapolis: $1.49 at BP located at Lyndale Ave. S. & W. 36th St.
– Shakopee: $1.79 at numerous gas stations ($1.39 at Sam's Club).
– St. Paul: $1.57 at Sinclair stations on Grand Ave.
– Stillwater: $1.89 at numerous gas stations.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average price of a gallon in Minnesota is $1.70.
Since 2005, the only stretches of time where the average price of a gallon of gas in Minnesota has been under $2 were December 2018 through April 2009, January 2015, and December 2015 through April 2016.