Nearing $1 million, the online fundraiser for the 5-year-old boy who was attacked at Mall of America earlier this month is now one of the most successful GoFundMe campaigns ever.
As of Monday afternoon, the fundraiser for Landen, who continues to receive treatment at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis, has generated $952,000, just $48,000 shy of becoming one of the few fundraisers to reach at least $1 million.
Here are the biggest campaigns from the years 2017 and 2018, as provided to BMTN by GoFundMe.
- $22 million - Time's Up legal defense fund (2018, still active)
- $15 million - Humboldt Broncos hockey team (2018)
- $11.7 million - Las Vegas shooting victims' fund (2017)
- $10.1 million - Stoneman Douglas shooting victims' fund (2018)
- $4.1 million - Building homes for refugees in Myanmar (2017, still active)
- $3.58 million - March For Our Lives students campaign (2018)
- $2.7 million - Fundraiser to fight famine in Somalia (2017)
- $1.8 million - Charlie Gard fundraiser (2017)
- $1.23 million - Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh fundraiser (2018, still active)
- $1.1 million - Victoria Islamic Center rebuilding fundraiser (2017)
- $1.09 million - Ari Fuld memorial fund (2018, still active)
- $1.01 million - Saving Carter fundraiser (2018, still active)
While not included in the 2017/18 figures as it didn't start till mid-December, the 'We The People Will Build The Wall" campaign has since amassed $22 million.
A GoFundMe spokesperson said they see "several" GoFundMe campaigns that raise over $1M each year.
Considering some of the tragedies included in the list above, it shows how much the Mall of America incident has captured the hearts of people around the world.
The latest update on Landen came Friday in a statement released by the family.
"Our miracle child Landen is showing real signs or recovery. New test results have been positive, though he remains in intensive care with a long road ahead. Our faith in God, and our Savior Jesus, is strong and we are gaining more reason for optimism day by day," the statement said.
The 24-year-old man accused of throwing Landen over a third floor railing to ground level at Mall of America has been charged with attempted murder.
He allegedly approached the boy while he was standing with his mother near the balcony outside the Rainforest Cafe and threw him over the side. He later told police that he had gone to the Mall of America that day with the intention of killing someone.