Gov. Tim Walz has declared a Peacetime Emergency in Minneapolis and mobilized the National Guard in response to renewed unrest in the city.
Walz has already sent 150 Minnesota state troopers to assist Minneapolis Police Department after property damage and looting broke out Wednesday evening. It followed misinformation that spread on social media suggesting a man had been shot dead by police, when it later emerged it was a homicide suspect who took his own life.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said he'd requested the assistance of the Minnesota National Guard, with Walz approving his request.
"Minneapolis, it’s time to heal. We must rebuild and recover. Dangerous, unlawful behavior will not be tolerated," he said.
"The Minnesota National Guard and State Patrol are headed to Minneapolis to help restore order. I remain in close contact with the city and every state resource stands ready to help bring peace."
Walz continued to say that state troopers will "assist Minneapolis Police in dispersing crowds, preventing looting, and making arrests for any violations of law."
The unrest comes a day after two protesters were shot dead in Kenosha, Wisconsin, allegedly by a teenager with links to white militia, amid unrest following the police shooting of Jacob Blake, after officers were called to a domestic incident involving the 29-year-old.
"The pain that people are feeling is real, the situation that sparked again ... those are real emotions that are out there," Walz said, but added that those emotions aren't going to be fixed by rioting and "false rumors," calling "unlawful behavior ... totally unacceptable."