Friday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 2,167 new cases and 10 new deaths.
The new deaths increase the state's death toll to 7,064 over the course of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 61.5% (4,344) were residents of long-term care.
Through April 21, the state reported that 2,376,300 people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine while 1,711,408 people have completed their vaccine series.
Fifty-four percent of Minnesotans aged 16-plus have received at least one shot, while 86% of the age-65-plus population has had at least one dose of a vaccine. Overall, 43% of the state's population has had at least one dose.
MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through April 22, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 689, which is up from the 684 reported Thursday.
Of those hospitalized, 202 people were in intensive care (up from 196 reported Wednesday) and 487 were receiving non-ICU treatment (no change from 487).
Here's how Minnesota's hospital admissions have progressed since Mar. 7.
- Mar. 7: 223 (177 non-ICU, 46 ICU)
- Mar. 13: 255 (194 non-ICU, 61 ICU)
- Mar. 20: 324 (246 non-ICU, 78 ICU)
- Mar. 27: 356 (264 non-ICU, 92 ICU)
- Apr. 2: 439 (337 non-ICU, 112 ICU)
- Apr. 8: 595 (461 non-ICU, 134 ICU)
- Apr. 14: 699 (531 non-ICU, 168 ICU)
- Apr. 22: 689 (487 non-ICU, 202 ICU)
Testing and positivity rates
The 2,167 positive results in Friday's update were from 52,967 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 4.09%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 6.25%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 8,999,951 (up from 8,948,654)
- People tested: 3,952,305 (up from 3,936,538)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 2,376,300 (up from 2,349,782)
- People who have completed. vaccine series: 1,711,408 (up from 1,674,765)
- Positive cases: 564,584 (up from 562,420)
- Deaths: 7,054 – 387 of which are "probable*" (up from 7,054)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 539,741 (up from 538,450)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.