Monday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 1,470 new cases and five newly reported deaths. This includes data from Friday. Data from Saturday, Sunday and part of Monday will be released Tuesday.
The state's death toll is 7,734 since the start of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 58.5% (4,533) were residents of long-term care.
As of August 12, the state reported that 3,238,588 (an increase of 7,500 from Wednesday's report) people have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 3,039,749 people have completed the vaccine series. The percentage of Minnesota's population with at least one shot, based on age group:
- 12-15: 46%
- 16-17: 55%
- 18-49: 60%
- 50-64: 73%
- 65+: 92%
- Total population: 58%
54.6% of Minnesota's total population, including children under the age of 12 who are not eligible for the vaccine, has completed the vaccine series. That jumps to 64.6% when excluding kids under the age of 12. MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through August 13, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 411 (up from 389 reported Friday).
Of those hospitalized, 109 people were in intensive care and 302 were in general hospital care.
Testing and positivity rates.
The 1,470 positive results in Monday's update were from 34,002 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 4.32%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 5.68%, which has been rising as the Delta variant spreads, having recently been below 1%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely keep the economy open. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 10,959,511 (up from 10,925,439)
- People tested: 4,803,549 (up from 4,782,415)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 3,238,588 (up from 3,231,088)
- People who have completed vaccine series: 3,039,749 (up from 3,035,371)
- Positive cases: 626,310 (up from 624,851)
- Deaths: 7,734 – 426 of which are "probable*" (up from 7,729)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 609,532 (up from 608,472)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.