Thursday's COVID update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 2,535 new cases and 14 new deaths.
The 14 new deaths increase the state's death toll to 6,922 over the course of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 62.4% (4,304) were residents of long-term care, including six of the 14 reported Thursday.
Through April 6, the state reported that 1,900,248 people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine while 1,247,045 people have completed their vaccine series.
Forty-three percent of Minnesotans aged 16-plus have received at least one shot, while 83% of the age-65-plus population has had at least one dose of a vaccine. Overall, 34% of the state's population has had at least one dose.
MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through April 7, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 562, which is up from 538 reported Wednesday.
Of those hospitalized, 131 people were in intensive care (down from 138 reported Monday) and 431 were receiving non-ICU treatment (up from 400).
Here's how Minnesota's hospital admissions have progressed since Mar. 1.
- Mar. 1: 251 (191 non-ICU, 60 ICU)
- Mar. 7: 223 (177 non-ICU, 46 ICU)
- Mar. 13: 255 (194 non-ICU, 61 ICU)
- Mar. 20: 324 (246 non-ICU, 78 ICU)
- Mar. 27: 356 (264 non-ICU, 92 ICU)
- Apr. 2: 439 (337 non-ICU, 112 ICU)
- Apr. 7: 562 (431 non-ICU, 131 ICU)
Testing and positivity rates
The 2,535 positive results in Thursday's update were from 44,111 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 5.74%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 7.18%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 8,474,916 (up from 8,430,709)
- People tested: 3,776,037 (up from 3,760,389)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 1,900,248 (up from 1,871,867)
- People who have completed. vaccine series: 1,247,045 (up from 1,218,492)
- Positive cases: 535,182 (up from 532,658)
- Deaths: 6,922 – 383 of which are "probable*" (up from 6,908)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 510,959 (up from 509,834)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.