Thursday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 878 new cases and five newly reported deaths. .
The state's death toll is 7,688 since the start of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 58.7% (4,517) were residents of long-term care.
As of August 3, the state reported that 3,183,305 (an increase of approximately 7,000 from Wednesday) people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 3,011,093 people have completed their vaccine series. The percentage of Minnesota's population with at least one shot, based on age group:
- 12-15: 43%
- 16-17: 53%
- 18-49: 59%
- 50-64: 73%
- 65+: 91%
- Total population: 57%
54.1% of Minnesota's total population, including children under the age of 12 who are not eligible for the vaccine, has completed the vaccine series. That jumps to 64.0% when excluding kids under the age of 12. MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through August 4, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 270 (up from 268 reported Wednesday).
Of those hospitalized, 81 people were in intensive care and 189 were receiving non-ICU treatment. The 81 ICU cases is the most since May 28 and the 189 non-ICU admissions are the most since June 3.
Testing and positivity rates.
The 878 positive results in Thursday's update were from 22,383 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 3.92%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 4.82%, which has been rising as the Delta variant spreads, having recently been below 1%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 10,747,709 (up from 10,725,327)
- People tested: 4,673,525 (up from 4,659,785)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 3,183,305 (up from 3,176,256)
- People who have completed vaccine series: 3,011,093 (up from 3,007,556)
- Positive cases: 616,784 (up from 615,923)
- Deaths: 7,688 – 424 of which are "probable*" (up from 7,683)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 603,559 (up from 603,264)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.