Wednesday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 1,514 new cases and 22 new deaths.
The state's death toll is 7,113 since the start of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 61.5% (4,358) were residents of long-term care.
Through April 25, the state reported that 2,468,406 people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine while 1,811,171 people have completed their vaccine series.
Fifty-six percent of Minnesotans aged 16-plus have received at least one shot, while 86% of the age-65-plus population has had at least one dose of a vaccine. Overall, 44% of the state's population has had at least one dose.
MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through April 26, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 643, which is up from the 641 reported Monday.
Of those hospitalized, 178 people were in intensive care (down from 184 reported Monday) and 465 were receiving non-ICU treatment (up from 457).
Here's how Minnesota's hospital admissions have progressed since Mar. 7.
- Mar. 7: 223 (177 non-ICU, 46 ICU)
- Mar. 13: 255 (194 non-ICU, 61 ICU)
- Mar. 20: 324 (246 non-ICU, 78 ICU)
- Mar. 27: 356 (264 non-ICU, 92 ICU)
- Apr. 2: 439 (337 non-ICU, 112 ICU)
- Apr. 8: 595 (461 non-ICU, 134 ICU)
- Apr. 14: 699 (531 non-ICU, 168 ICU)
- Apr. 20: 676 (483 non-ICU, 193 ICU)
- Apr. 26: 641 (457 non-ICU, 184 ICU)
- Apr. 27: 643 (465 non-ICU, 178 ICU)
Testing and positivity rates
The 1,514 positive results in Wednesday's update were from 24,496 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 6.18%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 5.94%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 9,140,195 (up from 9,116,991)
- People tested: 4,000,147 (up from 3,993,200)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: TBD (up from 2,468,406)
- People who have completed. vaccine series: TBD (up from 1,811,171)
- Positive cases: 572,025 (up from 570,518)
- Deaths: 7,113 – 390 of which are "probable*" (up from 7,091)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 550,992 (up from 549,110)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.