Wednesday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) includes 936 new cases and five newly reported deaths. .
The state's death toll is 7,683 since the start of the pandemic. Of the total deaths, 58.7% (4,515) were residents of long-term care.
As of August 2, the state reported that 3,176,256 (an increase of approximately 5,800 from Tuesday) people have received at least 1 dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 3,007,556 people have completed their vaccine series. The percentage of Minnesota's population with at least one shot, based on age group:
- 12-15: 43%
- 16-17: 53%
- 18-49: 59%
- 50-64: 73%
- 65+: 91%
- Total population: 57%
54.1% of Minnesota's total population, including children under the age of 12 who are not eligible for the vaccine, has completed the vaccine series. That jumps to 64.0% when excluding kids under the age of 12. MDH has a public dashboard to track vaccine progress in Minnesota, and you can view it here.
Through August 3, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 268 (up from 248 reported Tuesday).
Of those hospitalized, 81 people were in intensive care and 187 were receiving non-ICU treatment. The 81 ICU cases is the most since May 28 and the 187 non-ICU admissions are the most since June 3.
Testing and positivity rates.
The 936 positive results in Wednesday's update were from 18,490 completed tests, creating a test positivity rate of 5.06%.
According to Johns Hopkins University, Minnesota's test positivity rate over the past seven days is 4.68%, which has been rising as the Delta variant spreads, having recently been below 1%.
The World Health Organization recommends that a percent positive rate (total positives divided by total completed tests) of below 5% for at least two weeks is necessary to safely reopen the economy. That 5% threshold is based on total positives divided by total tests.
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 10,725,327 (up from 10,706,973)
- People tested: 4,659,785 (up from 4,649,231)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 3,176,256 (up from 3,170,942)
- People who have completed vaccine series: 3,007,556 (up from 3,004,629)
- Positive cases: 615,923 (up from 614,990)
- Deaths: 7,683 – 423 of which are "probable*" (up from 7,678)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 603,264 (up from 602,808)
* Probable deaths are patients who died after testing positive using the COVID-19 antigen test, which is thought to be less accurate than the more common PCR test.