Three young girls injured in a southeastern Minnesota house fire nearly two weeks ago continue to undergo surgeries on their road to recovery.
According to the Houston County Sheriff's Office, the fire happened October 31 around 12:40 a.m. at 1086 Dump Hill road in rural Rushford. A family of six was still inside when the house caught fire, but all six were able to get out before first responders arrived.
A GoFundMe for the family calls the father, 45-year-old Jared Cords, a hero for going into the burning home multiple times to rescue his family.
"Jared is a hero going in to the burning house multiple times to save his family, barely making it out in time before the home collapsed," the GoFundMe says.
Injured in the fire were Jared, his pregnant wife, Erin, 15-year-old foster son, Domanic, and three young girls, 7-year-old Rayvn, 5-year-old Teagan, and 3-year-old Peyton.
The three young girls were transported to local hospitals and then airlifted to the burn unit at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Jason Cords was also airlifted to Regions Hospital the night of the fire.
KTTC-TV reported Monday that the three girls remain in critical condition in the burn unit, while their father is out of the burn unit. Erin Cords and Domanic have been released from the hospital.
Family members provided updates Sunday on all three girls, via a Facebook fundraising page for the Cords.
– Ravyn is moving her fingers more but the family is still waiting to learn if she'll require skin grafts on her hands.
– Teagan underwent surgery last week and is "getting a ton of dressing changes," which require sedation to help with the pain. She is scheduled for another surgery Friday and will have skin grafting done on her forehand/arm and chest.
– Peyton, whose fourth birthday is Monday, underwent a three-hour surgery on her face Sunday that will eventually require a skin graft. She's also scheduled to have a skin graft done on her arms on Tuesday. Doctors are optimistic she'll have her ventilator removed this week.
The three girls will be hospitalized "for months as they recover from their extensive burns," the fundraiser explains.
The "Jared and Erin Cords Family Relief Fund" on Facebook has raised more than $27,000 while the GoFundMe has also generated nearly $10,000.
The fire remains under investigation by the State Fire Marshal and the Houston County Sheriff's Office.