Skip to main content

Hoverboard explodes, causes fire in Wisconsin home

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A Wisconsin family's home was damaged after a charging hoverboard toy blew up and caused a fire.

The River Falls Journal says the hoverboard (the MonoRover brand) was a Christmas gift – one of two the Nesbitts bought for their (very excited) children.

While recharging last Thursday, it suddenly "exploded." The paper then chronicles the quick actions they took to keep everyone safe, which resulted in damage to their office and carpet but kept the fire from spreading.

River Falls Fire Department Chief Scott Nelson confirmed to BringMeTheNews the hoverboard was determined to be the cause of the fire.

He also said that they have not received a hoverboard-related fire call before. The department doesn't have an estimate on the damage.

Dangers of hoverboards

Just Google "hoverboard fire" and you'll see story after story from recent weeks, reporting on fires caused by the gliding toys.

Last week, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was looking into "dozens" of fires, and is investigating 13 companies.

And just a couple days ago, U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized 16,000 counterfeit hoverboards with unauthorized batteries fake trademark logos from Chicago.

https://twitter.com/CustomsBorder/status/692403196397010945

A similar operation took place on the Minnesota-Canada border earlier this month, where officials found hundreds of illegal hoverboards.

The exact cause of the fires isn't clear, but Wired suggested last month it's just the quality of the parts, writing:

"They’re cheap, and it makes sense: This is a hot (pun not intended) holiday product, the reputable models are pretty expensive, and more-affordable brands are using cheaper components to lure in shoppers that don’t want to spend a grand or more on a hands-free Segway. Predictably, a slew of cut-rate brands are flooding the market with shoddy scooters made from cheapo components."

"As I have mentioned before, there are no safety standards for these products. That is unacceptable," Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a news release, adding he is urging consumers to "use caution with hoverboards."

Next Up

Reader-submitted video taken of people throwing fireworks at people and cars on July 4, 2022.

Frey: Police faced 'whack-a-mole' situation on chaotic Fourth of July

The mayor says law enforcement resources were being pulled all over the city as violent scenes unfolded.

image

Body recovered from Mississippi River near hydro plant in St. Paul

Authorities say the body appeared to have been in the river for months.

Braxton Sorenson

Charges: Lakeville driver didn't call 911 after fatally striking teen on bicycle

The 15-year-old boy was killed while riding his bike along a route he frequented.

Crystal Lake in Robbinsdale

Body found along shoreline of Crystal Lake

Police identified the body as a male Tuesday afternoon.

ATV

Little Falls man killed in ATV crash over holiday weekend

The 55-year-old apparently lost control and was partially ejected from the vehicle on Sunday.

Ellie Ragin

Police chief reveals new details in 'heartbreaking' search for Elle Ragin

Police reveal new details that led investigators to Stearns County.

Subway Series new menu

Subway overhauling menu, offering 1M free subs on July 12

The "Subway Series" menu change is set to take over beginning July 12.

Reader-submitted video taken of people throwing fireworks at people and cars on July 4, 2022.

Watch: Fireworks fired at people, buildings in downtown Minneapolis

Footage shared widely on social media shows chaotic scenes downtown on Fourth of July evening.

Ellie Ragin

Search for missing Elle Ragin shifts to park in Stearns County

Mississippi River County Park is closed to the public until further notice.

storm, severe weather, derecho

Developing derecho likely to blast southwest Minnesota

Damaging winds up to 90 mph are the main threat.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.29.03 PM

Two Minneapolis restaurants announce closures

It's the end of the line for Pie & Mighty and Bunny's Bar & Grill.

Grape Jelly

Someone is sending St. Paul resident unsolicited grape jelly

A resident said they received a large number of deliveries containing only jars of jelly.

Related

Small bomb explodes outside Planned Parenthood clinic in Wisconsin

Police are trying to find out who planted a small explosive outside a clinic in Grand Chute in eastern Wisconsin. The bomb detonated and damaged an exam room but no one was hurt, Green Bay's NBC 26 reports.

Fire, firefighters

House explodes in River Falls; extent of injuries unknown

A neighbor reported hearing a boom followed by their door blowing up, a report says.