KARE 11 reporter Lou Raguse harassed again while covering protest

It's the second time in a week that Raguse has been targeted.
Publish date:
Lou Raguse

For the second time in as many weeks, KARE 11 reporter Lou Raguse says he was harassed while reporting at the scene of a protest. 

Raguse, reporting from the protests in south Minneapolis related to the police-involved death of 46-year-old George Floyd, tweeted that a man on a bicycle sped by him at full speed, shoved him and yelled an expletive at him.

Raguse added that the man rode by again, at which point he confronted the bicyclist and captured a quick video. 

It's not clear whether the person on the bike was involved in the protest, but WCCO-TV reporter Jeff Wagner tweeted that a man believed to be the same person rode by, "blasting music and it looked like he was about to disrupt us, but he moved on." 

Raguse didn't elaborate further about the incident, though as industry colleague Karen Scullen of FOX 9 wrote, "You've had a rough go lately." 

Scullen was clearly referring to Raguse being harassed outside a bar in central Minnesota, where people gathered to protest coronavirus-related orders from Gov. Walz that continue to keep bars and restaurants from serving customers inside. 

Raguse can be seen in the video (below) being harassed by protesters outside Shady's Hometown Tavern in Albany, who yell at him to take off his mask. 

"To me, the issue that bothered me more than the mask confrontation was the general anti-press sentiment we received. It is not something isolated to people on one side of the political aisle. I've experienced several confrontations like this over the last 5 yrs at various rallies," Raguse said following the Albany incident. 

"No matter what problems you have with the press, I will just respond by saying most of us want to go out there and cover an issue fairly and make sure people of different viewpoints are represented. And most of us would be willing to talk civilly if you have issues with coverage."

Tuesday's protesters marched north on Chicago Ave. from the site where Floyd was arrested before losing consciousness after a Minneapolis police officer held his knee down on Floyd's neck while he was handcuffed. Floyd, who repeatedly told police that he couldn't breathe, later died. 

Protestors turned east on Lake Street from Chicago Ave. and continued to march to the Minneapolis 3rd Police Precinct, where a clash with police dressed in riot gear ensued. 

It was during that clash that Star Tribune reporter Andy Mannix was hit by a non-lethal, police-fired projectile that left a bruise on his thigh. 

You can read more about and see photos from the clash right here

Next Up