Lengthy standoff in Duluth ends with Thursday night arrest

The suspect had barricaded himself in his home more more than seven hours.
Publish date:

A Thursday standoff lasting nearly seven and a half hours in Duluth has ended with an arrest.

According to Duluth Public Information Officer Kate Van Daele, Duluth Police Department officers responded to a 30-year-old man who had barricaded himself in his home on the 2200 block of Nanticoke Street.

The incident started at around 1 p.m. when the man fled into his residence when officers attempted to arrest him, according to the Duluth News Tribune.

Van Daele reported the man was not believed to be a public threat at the time. The man had multiple active felony warrants, including for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a first-degree DWI and first-degree domestic assault.

The Duluth Tactical Response Team was called to the scene at around 4:30 p.m. The team used “chemical munitions “ in an attempt to get the man to surrender, according to a DPD press release.

The City of Superior, through an agreement with Duluth, brought armored vehicles to the scene at around 7:30 p.m.

The man was taken into custody by Duluth police at around 8:21 p.m.

“Our officers exhausted every option to have this situation end safely,” said DPD Deputy Chief Nick Lukovsky in a statement. 

“These are tense, stressful, and exhausting incidents. I am really proud of the men and women of the Duluth Police Department, our Tactical Response Team, and those who assisted tonight.”

Note: The details provided in this story are based on the police’s latest version of events, and may be subject to change.

Next Up

Willians Astudillo

Twins pitchers decimated: 16 runs, 18 hits, 8 walks ... 4 strikeouts

The White Sox hammered the Twins 16-4 but Astudillo took the mound in the ninth.


Girl shot in the head at birthday party 'fighting for her life'

Trinity Ottoson-Smith was struck by a bullet in the head last weekend.

Kelly Kleine

Broncos hire Vikings' Kelly Kleine as highest-ranking woman scout in NFL history

Kleine will reunite in Denver with former Vikings executive George Paton.

Joel Eriksson Ek

Wild looks to exorcise demons from haunted Game 2 history

The Wild have lost nine straight Game 2s entering Tuesday night's tilt with Vegas.


Woman who died in crash after car lost tire in Minneapolis is ID'd

The 35-year-old Minneapolis woman was originally from Mahnomen.

Flickr - fishing minnesota 2020 -Lorie Shaull

Curious conservation officer reports from the Minnesota DNR

Gravel thieves, raucous campers and some quick thinking that backfired.

St. Paul police squad

Police 'tactically disengage' from standoff in St. Paul

The incident lasted approximately 2 1/2 hours.


Another Raising Cane's set to open in the Twin Cities

This will be the 11th Raising Cane's restaurant in the metro area.

kimberly potter

Trial of former police officer Kimberly Potter starts Dec. 6

Potter is charged in the shooting death of Daunte Wright.

Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis.

Health care workers ratify tentative agreement with Allina Health

The union was threatening a strike just two weeks ago.


Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.29.37 AM

Waseca police standoff with armed male ends with arrest

The incident happened approximately 7 weeks after a Waseca officer was shot in the head.

police lights

Long standoff with armed subject ends Thursday in New Brighton

The situation quickly escalated Wednesday night.

police lights

Man arrested peacefully after standoff in Minnetonka

It led to the closure of Shady Oak Road for more than 12 hours.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 7.57.25 AM

Man arrested after standoff in dispute between Anoka County neighbors

The 50-year-old had fired a shot into the air after arguing with his neighbor.

La Quinta Inn

Standoff at Brooklyn Park ends safely, suspect in custody

The La Quinta Inn had been evacuated and the area surrounding it cordoned off.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 6.45.53 PM

Brooklyn Park standoff: Suspect kills himself, child taken hostage is safe

The standoff ended Thursday night when the suspect shot himself.

St. Paul police squad

Police 'tactically disengage' from standoff in St. Paul

The incident lasted approximately 2 1/2 hours.