Man, 86, dies after catching fire while burning brush

He died after being flown to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
Author:
Publish date:
helicopter-186718_1280

An elderly man died in western Wisconsin after catching fire while burning brush.

The incident reported at 1:18 p.m. Friday happened at a property in Hale, Trempeleau County, and claimed the life of Richard Morchinek, 86, of Whitehall.

The Trempeleau County Sheriff's Office says that Morchinek had started a brush fire, but the flames spread to his clothes, and then to a nearby barn.

Emergency services arrived and transported Morchinek to Regions Hospital by air ambulance.

He died from his injuries at 11:30 p.m. Friday.

The fire is under investigation, but police believe Morchinek's death to be accidental.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Next Up

closed sign

What's open and closed in Minnesota on Thanksgiving Day 2020?

Most services will not be running on Thursday and unlike most years, many stores will be closed, too.

PennyMomentos

How a turkey's brush with celebrity in Bloomington came to a tragic end

DNR: if you care about wild animals, stop feeding them

TCF Bank Stadium

Saturday's Gophers/Badgers football game canceled due to COVID-19 issues

The Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe will not take place for the first time since 1906.

coronavirus, Iowa

MN health officials don't think downside of COVID-19 peak has arrived

We could be in a trough between a series of waves, Jan Malcolm said.

covid-19, coronavirus

Wisconsin reports record 104 deaths from COVID-19 Tuesday

That's roughly 10% of the total in the nation in a 24-hour period.

Drywall

Husband and wife sentenced for fraud scheme through their drywall firm

The Annandale pair bilked an insurance company out of more than $300,000.

ambulance

4 pedestrians suffer life-threatening injuries after being struck by vehicle

Two vehicles crashed into a car that was on the side of the road after striking a deer.

Marcus Carr

Gophers season preview: New lineup, deeper bench, more questions

Mathew Goldstein takes a deep dive into the murky waters of the college hoops season.

20201107_vivir-1151-Edit

Photos: ViV!R, Minneapolis' new Mexican cafe and shop, is now open

The team behind the acclaimed Popol Vuh have opened the cafe in the same space.

MasklessJudgesinWiscoyTownship

At Wiscoy Township's sole precinct, election judges ditched masks

Voter and Wiscoy resident Kaitlyn O'Connor took a photo of the judges after asking them to wear masks, she said

Related

Barn burns after farmer accidentally sparks fire as he cleared snow

Fortunately, he was able to get the livestock out of the barn in time.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 7.39.22 AM

Man arrested for murder after woman dies in duplex fire

The 23 year old is being held on suspicion of arson and murder.

Man dies after being severely burned in grass fire

The fire happened near a lake northeast of Sauk Centre.

Man dies after going into burning home to save his dogs

The 36-year-old told his sister that he was going inside to save his dogs.

Eden Prairie woman dies after her minivan catches fire

The incident closed eastbound Highway 5 for several hours.

Brainerd woman dies after clothes catch on fire

She was air lifted to the Twin Cities but didn't survive the injuries.

Man dies as cigarette, oxygen cause flash fire

The victim was found unresponsive inside.