Man accused of Mall of America balcony attack appears in court; boy remains critical

Emmanuel Aranda is being held on a $2 million bail.
Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

The boy thrown from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America remains in a critical condition in the hospital.

The update was given by an attorney representing the family of the 5-year-old, per KSTP, with the child still undergoing treatment at Children's Hospital following the attack on Friday morning.

An update posted on a GoFundMe page for the boy, who is named Landen, Monday night said: "The family cannot express how grateful they are for all of the prayers, love and support that they are receiving."

"His condition has very little change at this point, but we are hoping to get some good news back from some upcoming tests in the next few days." 

As of Wednesday morning, the fundraiser had raised more than $740,000 in the space of just over three days.

Meanwhile, the man accused of throwing him from the third floor balcony, 24-year-old Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda of Minneapolis, made his first court appearance on Tuesday.

During the brief hearing, Aranda was told he'll have his next hearing on May 14, with his bail set at $2 million.

He has been charged with first-degree premeditated attempted murder.

Follow Bring Me The News on Flipboard for the latest stories

In the criminal complaint, Aranda told police he'd gone to the Mall of America in Bloomington on Friday with the intention of killing someone.

He had planned to pick an adult as they tend to be found closer to the balcony, but for some reason settled on the boy instead.

Previously, he said he'd go to the mall in order to talk to women, but became increasingly aggressive in the face of rejection.

Next Up

Related