Skip to main content

Man dead, 8 taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning

The man's wife and first responders were sickened, too.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A man has died and his wife, along with emergency responders, were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in west-central Minnesota.

Authorities were called to the home in rural Vergas in Otter Tail County on Monday evening when a woman came home and found her 67-year-old husband was not breathing.

The man could not be revived and was pronounced dead, a news release from the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office says.

But while at the scene, the man's wife and two Perham EMS workers showed signs of suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and had to be airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.

HCMC is equipped with a hyperbaric chamber, the Brainard Dispatch reports, which is needed to treat patients with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Two firefighters and two Sheriff's deputies also had to be treated at Perham Hospital for their exposure to the deadly gas, the sheriff's office said, and Perham Health told Valley News Live another Perham paramedic was treated for carbon monoxide exposure but didn't need to go to HCMC.

Those brought to the hospital in Perham were released around midnight.

Officials haven't said what could have caused the carbon monoxide leak, but the Minnesota Health Department has a guide on some of the most common sources of carbon monoxide in the home, which can include: gas heaters and stoves; power generators; fire places; and furnaces or boilers.

Around 500 people in the U.S. die each year from unintentional CO poisoning, which is hard to detect as it's odorless and early symptoms are similar to that of the flu, the agency says, noting that incidents of CO poisoning are often higher during the winter months.

CO poisoning was responsible for 59 deaths in Minnesota in the five years between 2010-2014, according to Minnesota Department of Health stats.

Next Up

Minneapolis police

Man stabbed to death in his Minneapolis home identified

The victim's wife had an order of protection out against the suspect.

FLickr - AL Franken 2016 - Lorie Shaull

Al Franken filling in as guest host of 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'

Franken, a comedian and former Minnesota senator, will perform comedy four nights in a row in Minneapolis following the appearance on the show.

Flickr - Minneapolis police squad - Chad Davis

1 dead, 1 critical after shooting at 38th and Chicago in Minneapolis

It's the second killing in a week at the intersection in south Minneapolis.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.24.22 AM

Teen driver crashes into parked payloader; 16-year-old passenger dies

The crash happened early Saturday morning in Waconia.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 10.10.50 AM

Barrage of gunfire injures boy in Brooklyn Park; vehicles, apartments damaged

Police say they recovered evidence that more than 40 rounds were fired in the shooting.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 9.15.07 AM

Minnesota Wild back away from thin blue line T-shirt giveaway

The giveaway backfired when word of it reached social media.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 1.26.13 PM

Workers at Minneapolis Trader Joe's become 2nd in nation to unionize

The vote was certified by the National Labor Relations Board Friday.

ATV, all-terrain vehicle

Driver killed in ATV crash in Brooklyn Park

The crash occurred in Monroe Park Friday night.

ambulance

Woman killed by suspected drunk-driver in St. Louis County

The crash occurred on Highway 21 in Embarrass Township Friday night.

Related

carbon monoxide

Man, dog die in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The discovery was made in northeastern Minnesota.

Here are the warning signs for carbon monoxide poisoning

10 people in St. Paul were hospitalized with CO poisoning on New Year's Day.

carbon monoxide

Six hospitalized with CO poisoning in St. Paul

Children were among those requiring treatment.

ambulance

8 people in Shakopee taken to hospital for CO poisoning

The family called 911 after three people were feeling sick.