Skip to main content
Publish date:

Man dies as cigarette, oxygen cause flash house fire

The victim was found unresponsive inside.
Author:

A 74-year-old man died in a house fire in Isanti County over the weekend.

Authorities were called to the 5600 block of 263rd Avenue Northeast at 6:18 p.m. on Saturday, on a report of an unresponsive man inside.

It emerged that there had been a fire inside that they believe was sparked when the man tried to light a cigarette while oxygen was being used in the house.

This caused a "flash fire," the Isanti County Sheriff's Office said.

The victim died from smoke inhalation during the fire, with authorities identifying him as Lawrence Tuma.

The fire remains under investigation by the sheriff's office and State Fire Marshal.

Follow Bring Me The News on Flipboard

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 9.03.06 AM

Charges: Man shot Uber Eats driver making a delivery in Cottage Grove

Otis Donnell Shipp was charged with second-degree attempted murder after turning himself in on Wednesday.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 7.36.14 AM

Waterfront hotel in Duluth sustains damage in kitchen fire

Authorities estimate the damage at around $75,000.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 7.15.18 AM

Large groups of thieves target 2 Twin Cities Best Buys on Black Friday

It bears similarities to the flash-mob style thefts seen recently in California.

Karl-Anthony Towns

Timberwolves' winning streak snapped at five games

The Wolves' bid for their longest winning streak since 2014 came up short.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 6.45.53 PM

Teen arrested over fatal shooting of 5-year-old boy in Brooklyn Park

Police say the teen was filming a social media video while handling a gun.

Joe Biden

President Biden coming to Minnesota to promote Bipartisan Infrastructure Law

Tuesday's trip follows passage of the $1.2 trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal.

Kirill Kaprizov

Kaprizov gets into the holiday spirit to rout Jets

Kirill Kaprizov's four points led the Wild to a 7-1 victory.

Kirk Cousins

Coller: Cure to Vikings' disrupted season lies in an explosive passing game

The Vikings go to San Francisco knowing that a win would be a huge boost to their playoff hopes.

unsplash football helmet ground

Judge upholds star QBs suspension for state championship game

Sam Backer, of Chatfield Senior High, won't be allowed to play in Friday's title game.

Related

Minneapolis Fire Department

Man dies in south Minneapolis house fire

Another man was rescued from the property.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.39.39 AM

13 dogs die in house fire north of the Twin Cities

Many of the dogs were purebred show dogs.

fire, flames

Man found dead after house fire in northern Minnesota

The 63-year-old has been identified by police.

Man dead, woman injured in western Minnesota house fire

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

Man dies, woman and 2 teens escape house fire in Andover

The teenagers were taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Man dies in boating accident near Detroit Lakes

The 61-year-old was found unresponsive, and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Elderly homeowner dies in Freeport house fire

The fire broke out around 9 a.m. Friday.

fire truck

Man dies from injuries four days after fire at Minneapolis home

The incident is under investigation by the city's arson unit.