A man and his dog have died in northeastern Minnesota from a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police were called to a house in Canosia Township, St. Louis County, at 5:24 p.m. Thursday, where Michael Steen, 54, of Duluth, had been found by a friend.
Responders determined that Steen and a family dog were dead inside the residence.
"The initial investigation points to Carbon Monoxicided as the cause of death to both Steen and his canine companion, but the official cause of death will be determined by the Midwest Medical Examiners Office," the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office said.
No carbon monoxide alarms were sounding, but high levels of CO were found inside.
The sheriff's office says residents should ensure they test their CO detectors and replace them if necessary, as we enter the winter months when the risk of poisoning is heightened as houses are heated.