Man's fatal shooting by police in Mountain Iron justified, county attorney rules

19-year-old Estavon Elioff died in the Dec. 5 incident.

A county attorney has ruled that the force used by police in Mountain Iron that left a 19-year-old man dead was justified.

The St. Louis County Attorney's Office, when deciding whether any charges would be brought in the Dec. 5 death of Estavon Elioff, ruled that the officers who fatally shot the teen did so in self-defense.

In a report presented to the county attorney, the deputies who opened fire said they had felt in imminent danger of their lives, saying they saw Elioff turn towards them with what they believed to be a gun in his hand.

After Elioff was shot dead, it was discovered that what he had actually been holding was a folding knife.

In his statement, county attorney Mark Rubin said: "We must examine the 'totality of the circumstances' facing the officer. We cannot rely on information learned after the event.

"When confronted with the inherent threat of great bodily harm or death to themselves or others, an officer has the right and the duty to use the amount of force reasonably necessary to meet that threat.

"This was a death following the pursuit, confrontation and attempt to take into custody a young man suspected of firing multiple shots into a home in Virginia, with a 9mm weapon, a little more than 24 hours earlier.

"A tragedy? Yes. Especially because indications point to young Elioff feeling caught, trapped and hopeless ... and in all likelihood knowing that his gesture towards the deputies would force a professional response and cost him his life."

What happened?

Elioff, of Virginia, Minnesota, came to the attention of the police after a report of shoplifting from the L&M Supply Store in Mountain Iron.

A St. Louis County deputy approached the suspect as he walked away from the store, and when the deputy got out of her squad vehicle, the suspect "placed his right hand in his jacket pocket" before fleeing into a nearby wooded area.

Suspecting Elioff had a firearm, the deputy called for backup and didn't follow him. 

Radio dispatch then developed that stated the man resembled a suspect in a shooting the day before in Virginia, with the suspect "tentatively identified as Estavon Elioff." That shooting saw someone fire at least four rounds from a ghandgun at the occupant of a house.

Dispatch then received a call from Elioff's great-grandmother, confirming that the shoplifter was her great-grandson.

An incident summary compiled for the St. Louis County Attorney states that after a perimeter was set up, police used K-9 officers to track Elioff, and eventually found him standing about six feet off the ground on a partially fallen pine tree.

Two St. Louis County deputies gave Elioff "loud commands" to show his hands and get down on the ground.

Here's what the report says happened next:

"Elioff did not initially respond in any way. His hands were in front of him, and he appeared to be digging into his jacket or jacket pocket. Twice, a taser was deployed to get Elioff’s compliance, but both times the taser had little to no effect.

"After the second taser deployment, Deputy Smith, still in control of his K-9 on a leash, observed Elioff partially turn towards Smith, and extend his hand in Smith’s direction. Deputy Smith observed a black object in Elioff’s hand pointed directly at Smith. Believing this object to be a firearm, Smith hollered to his partner, Tomsich, “GUN, GUN, GUN”.

"Smith had been backing away while shouting this out and tripped and fell. He was able to right himself as Elioff was still pointing the object at Smith. Believing he was about to be fired upon, Smith fired his service pistol in the direction of Elioff. Deputy Tomsich, who was preparing to deploy a 3rd taser strike heard Deputy Smith yell “GUN”. Tomsich then dropped the taser and reached to pull his duty pistol from his holster. As he did so he noticed that Deputy Smith was on the ground, but did not know why or how.

"Deputy Smith then yelled, “Matt, he’s got a gun”, at which point Deputy Tomsich aimed his duty pistol at the back of Estavon Elioff and began firing, although he had not personally observed a gun in Elioff’s hand."

Elioff was struck five times, and by the time EMTs had brought him from the woods, he had died from his injuries.

"Located at the scene of the shooting, right next to where Elioff had fallen from the tree was a folding knife that had been opened to a 90-degree angle," the report says. "The blade of the knife was black."

Next Up

Karl-Anthony Towns

Bradley Beal terrorizes Timberwolves in loss to Wizards

Beal and the Wizards handed the Wolves their seventh straight defeat.

Marcus Carr / Gopher basketball

Gophers tourney hopes take another blow with loss to Nebraska

Marcus Carr scored a career-high 41 points, but Minnesota is still winless on the road.

St. Paul police

St. Paul police arrest teenage boy in carjacking crackdown

This comes amid a dramatic spike in Twin Cities carjackings.


Snow latest: Twin Cities set for up to 4 inches

A narrow system will travel across Minnesota overnight.

Blake Fredrick / Lake City Basketball

Lake City boys basketball player signs contract, honored on senior night

Frederick had a special call-up to the Tigers' varsity basketball team.


Man dies after being shot outside home near Grove City

He was found outside a home in Acton Township.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.39.00 AM

Teen wounded in 'accidental shooting' in Moorhead

The 18-year-old was shot in the abdomen.

Kirill Kaprizov / Minnesota Wild

Watch: Another absurd night for Kaprizov as his legend grows

Kaprizov scored a crazy wrap-around goal in the Wild's victory over the Kings.


DoorDash, Uber Eats bump service fees for Twin Cities customers

After Minneapolis and St. Paul limited what companies can charge restaurants, DoorDash and Uber are charging customers about a dollar more


police tape, crime scene

Man, 19, fatally shot by police on the Iron Range

The man was allegedly linked to a shoplifting incident, and an earlier drive-by shooting.

Ronald Davis

Use of force 'justified' in fatal police shooting of Ronald Davis

The 31-year-old was holding a knife in his hand when he was shot dead.

Ramsey County: Billy Hughes' fatal shooting by police was justified

The 43-year-old exited his building while holding a gun.

Attorney: Police justified in deadly shooting during hostage situation

The fatal police shooting took place in the city's downtown on Nov. 27.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 9.55.25 AM

Five officers involved in fatal Richfield shooting identified

30-year-old Brian Quinones died after allegedly confronting officers with a knife.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.58.03 PM

Bodycam footage of fatal Minneapolis police shooting released

A man in his 20s, identified as Dolal Idd, died in the shooting.

Brian Quinones

No charges in fatal police shooting of father who live-streamed chase

Brian Quinones died after exiting his car with a knife.

Bureau of Criminal Apprehension

Deputies who fatally shot 19-year-old on Iron Range decline BCA interview

Body cameras were not worn and dash cameras didn't capture the incident.