Skip to main content

Maple Grove students hospitalized with burns suffered during class

Four students at Maple Grove Junior High were hospitalized Thursday morning after a failed science experiment involving flammable gas. The students suffered burns ranging from mild to severe.
  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Four students at Maple Grove Junior High were hospitalized Thursday morning after a failed science experiment involving flammable gas. The students suffered burns ranging from mild to severe. No other students in the class were injured.

Next Up

Chet Holmgren

Thunder selects Chet Holmgren 2nd overall in NBA Draft

The Minneapolis native becomes the highest-drafted Minnesotan in NBA history.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.21.45 PM

One airlifted after crash on rural Scott County highway

The State Patrol shut down Highway 282 in both directions Thursday afternoon.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Police investigating after two men found dead in Maple Grove

Few details are known about the investigation.

12-web-or-mls-12 Dining room

Gallery: Charming, Northeast Minneapolis Home is perfect for first-time homebuyers

Located in the Holland neighborhood, it's near the Eastside Co-op, tons of amazing restaurants, breweries, and a distillery

US-169 BUS, Shakopee, Minnesota - June 2019 (1)

Eden Prairie 19-year-old killed in crash near Valleyfair is ID'd

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in this crash, involving a 26-year-old driver from Hopkins.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.35.25 PM

Man pleads guilty for threatening to kill Hennepin County employees

Peter Robert Berry has a criminal history dating back to the 1970s, according to court records.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 7.54.07 AM

Fourth person sentenced for murder of Minneapolis realtor

Lyndon Wiggins is the fourth person that has been sentenced in the kidnapping and killing of Monique Baugh.

covid

Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Thursday, June 23

The number of Minnesotans up to date on their vaccine has dropped, largely due to kids 6 months to 4 years now eligible in the data.

Fire

Man severely burned in house fire near Duluth

The burn victim was airlifted to Minneapolis for advanced care.

ambulance

Woman, 29, dies in two-vehicle crash south of Mora

The crash occurred in Brunswick Township just after 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Related

School changes policy after Maple Grove students burned

KARE-11 says the Osseo School District has changed their science experiment policy a day after a chemical explosion during a class demonstration left four Maple Grove Middle School students with severe burns.

Teacher on leave after fire that hurt four students

A science teacher at Maple Grove Junior High has been placed on leave after an experiment went haywire and left four students with mild to severe burns. KARE 11 says the teacher will be on leave with pay until the district can wrap up its investigation.

Burned student recalls science experiment gone awry

A 15-year-old student at Maple Grove Junior High School was taking notes while his science teacher conducted an experiment. The next thing he knew, he was burning. Fox 9 says the class was learning about methanol, a flammable substance, when a container exploded.

Changes made after science-class accident

The Osseo School District is making changes to its teacher-led science demonstrations after four students were injured in a classroom accident at Maple Grove Junior High. In a 71-page report, the district says the methanol "flash bottle" demonstration will not be allowed pending further review. It also calls for a more stringent approval process for science demonstrations and a detailed list of approved demonstrations.

Maple Grove police investigate brawl on high school soccer field

Maple Grove police are looking into a high school soccer game that turned ugly Thursday night. The sectional championship between Totino-Grace and Prairie Seeds Academy ended with multiple punches thrown between players, leaving one student injured.

Maple Grove hunter dies after catching fire

The 84-year-old's clothing caught fire after trying to light a propane heater in his deer stand. Arthur Joseph Knafla fell from the stand in rural St. Louis County after his clothes began burning.