Mayor Jacob Frey has announced an immediate curfew in Minneapolis and has requested assistance from the National Guard amid unrest in downtown Wednesday evening.
Property damage and looting followed misinformation about a man's death on Nicollet Mall. Posts on social media suggested he had been killed by police, but footage released by Minneapolis Police Department shows the man took his own life.
The man was suspected of an earlier homicide at a downtown parking ramp.
Frey said that the details of the curfew will be forthcoming, but that the immediate message for those in downtown is to "go home."
As of 10:35 p.m., no official guidance had been issued regarding the curfew.
He has also requested the aid of the National Guard from Gov. Tim Walz, who has already sent the Minnesota State Patrol to downtown Minneapolis.
While initial clashes between police, who used chemical irritant, and protesters have been quelled, there are still reports coming in of downtown businesses being damaged.
"What our city needs is healing, we don't need destruction, we don't need property damage, that is unacceptable," Frey said.
"I cannot tolerate more property damage in a city still grieving from May 25, if you are causing destruction, you will be arrested, this is my city, we will not tolerate that," said Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo.