Mayor Jacob Frey and Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo have announced a new policy regarding "no-knock" warrants executed by city police.
The pair revealed the latest changes to the police force – which has been under pressure to reform since the death of George Floyd in May – on Wednesday afternoon.
Under the new policy, Minneapolis police officers will in most circumstances be required to announce themselves as police, and their purpose for being there, before entering a property for which they have a search warrant.
Furthermore, they have to "periodically" announce themselves throughout their search, and whenever they move to a part of the property where they may not have previously been heard.
There are exceptions to the policy, namely when announcing themselves before entering would "create an imminent threat of physical harm to victims, officers or the public," such as in hostage situations.
"This is about proactive policymaking and instilling accountability,” said Frey.
“We can’t prevent every tragedy, but we can limit the likelihood of bad outcomes. This new, no-knock warrant policy will set shared expectations for our community and clear and objective standards within the department."
Per the City of Minneapolis, police execute 139 warrants of these kinds each year.
The new policy seems designed to avoid situations like that seen in the death of Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky. Taylor was fatally shot when three plain-clothes officers executed a no-knock warrant in March.
While police said their officers knocked and announced themselves before breaking the door down, Taylor's boyfriend said he heard knocking but didn't hear anyone announce themselves as police.
He fired a shot, thinking an intruder was breaking in, prompting police to return fire, striking Taylor.