Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board has agreed to spend up to $250,000 to keep the majority of the city's parkways closed until the end of June, to provide more social distancing space for walkers and runners.
The parks board agreed at its meeting on Wednesday to grant MPRB Superintendent Al Bangoura the authority to spend the cash keeping parkways closed to vehicle traffic, which was initially put in place towards the start of the COVID_19 pandemic.
So far, 21 miles of parkway have been reduced either to single lane or closed completely to give trail users more options to follow social distancing by keeping pathways less crowded.
What's more, the parks board is expanding the closures so that sections of 4 major parkways that are currently one lane – including sections of Bde Maka Ska, Cedar, Nokomis and West River parkways – will become fully closed.
The parks board says this will help lower costs by reducing the need to rent barriers to maintain the partial closures.
"We recognize the important role parks play during this national health crisis and we will continue to look at ways to provide safe, close-to-home outdoor spaces throughout the city, for all Minneapolis residents," said MPRB Superintendent Al Bangoura.
Here's a look at the new parkway closures: Red signifies full closure, green one-lane closure.