Skip to main content
Publish date:

Minnesota sues 2 bars, revokes license of another for staying open despite COVID shutdown

Bars in Lynd and East Grand Forks are now being sued by the Minnesota Department of Health.
Author:

Two bars that have stayed open in defiance of Gov. Tim Walz's COVID-19 shutdown are being sued by the State of Minnesota, while a third has had its license revoked for alleged repeated breaches of COVID-19 safety measures, AND staying open despite the shutdown.

The Minnesota Department of Health announced Friday evening that it has filed lawsuits, with the aid of the Minnesota Attorney General's Office, against Havens Garden in Lynd, Lyons County, and Boardwalk Bar and Grill in East Grand Forks.

A third restaurant, the Iron Waffle outside Nisswa, has had its license revoked and is facing a $9,500 fine for its alleged "history of non-compliance" of the governor's COVID-19 rules, which follows "multiple complaints" alleging violations of the requirement that employees wear face masks.

BMTN has reported about both Havens Garden and the Boardwalk Bar and Grill this week, with the owners deciding to open the doors to customers despite the four-week shutdown implemented by the governor last month, which doesn't expire till Dec. 18.

Havens Garden owner Larvita McFarquhar had argued that the shutdown was unconstitutional, and continued to serve customers even after having her license revoked by Southwest Health and Human Services, only for this to be rescinded by a vote of the regional health body's board.

MDH serve Havens Garden with a cease and desist order on Wednesday, and is now seeking a court-ordered injunction requiring it to close.

A cease and desist order was served on the Boardwalk Bar and Grill on Thursday, only for the restaurant to publicly say "that it planned to remain open to the public for on-premises dining."

Ellison has filed a lawsuit seeking a temporary restraining order prohibiting it from remaining open, which was granted by the Polk County District Court Friday afternoon.

Sign up for our BREAKING NEWS newsletters

Of the Iron Waffle, MDH says its staff have "tried to work with the business operators to inform them of the requirements and bring them into compliance."

"When those efforts failed, MDH issued a cease and desist order on August 6," it said. "The establishment closed briefly and then reopened in non-compliance."

MDH issued an "Administrative Penalty Order" on Sept. 24, to which the restaurant didn't respond. As a result, MDH sent a notice informing the restaurant it is now facing a penalty of $9,500, and it would have its license revoked if it didn't come into compliance with the COVID-19 safety measures.

"MDH staff inspected the establishment on December 5 and found it was allowing on-site consumption in violation of Executive Order 20-99," it said. "The department revoked the facility’s license on December 9, with the $9,500 penalty still due."

Next Up

snow, blowing snow

Winter storm warnings issued with heavy snow set to slam MN

Parts of northern Minnesota could see more than a foot of snow, but there won't be much in the Twin Cities.

D'Angelo Russell

With KAT out, Timberwolves can't upset Nets

D'Angelo Russell stepped up but couldn't overcome Brooklyn's firepower.

Everson Griffen Vikings dot com

Everson Griffen confirms he has bipolar disorder

"I’ve been running from it a long time. I’m not ashamed of it anymore.”

Angela Renee Jones, St. Cloud murder suspect

St. Cloud suspect now charged in two local murder cases

Both murders happened within a day of each other in June.

st anthony 3 crop

Twin Cities police ask for help finding missing 16-year-old

Police say all her family and friends have been contacted, and none of them know where she is.

mpd suspect 12.3.21 - 1 - CROP

MPD releases photos of shooting suspect, asks for public's help

The man is wanted in connection with a fatal shooting that happened Wednesday evening.

redmons popcorn colbert 2

Support grows for Redmon's Popcorn after shop's sudden closure

The county also commented on the situation, saying it hopes to help owner Zack Redmon.

prior lake high school

Prior Lake HS investigating another 'racist' video involving student

The principal said the social media video was reported to them this week.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 3.08.27 PM

Walz: Minnesota has secured 1 million rapid, at-home COVID tests for kids

It comes as the delta variant continues to surge in Minnesota, and the omicron variant might follow.

boundary waters

Forest Service limiting permits to BWCAW due to damage, overcrowding

Visitors have been cutting down trees and have been forced to compete for campsites.

police lights

Lockdown update: Armed man threatened to go to Kimball High School

A high school and elementary school near St. Cloud went into lockdown as a precaution.

chaska sewer

People in Chaska are flushing the wrong crap down the toilet

Water and sewer crews in Chaska have had to clean the same pump four times in the past seven days.

Related

restaurant-602894_1280

58 bars, restaurants added to list of those linked to COVID-19 outbreaks

The Minnesota Department of Health has recorded 117 bars and restaurants tied to coronavirus outbreaks.

Cowboy Jacks

4 Minnesota bars linked to COVID-19 outbreaks

More than 130 cases have resulted from people congregating at the bars.

Cowboy Jacks

List of 19 bars in Minnesota linked to COVID-19 outbreaks

The majority of cases linked to the bars are young adults.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.54.41 PM

MN bar defied governor's shutdown, had license suspended, is still open

Havens Garden owner Larvita McFarquhar argues the shutdown is unconstitutional.

Alibi Drinkery

Lakeville bar has license suspended after opening to large, maskless crowd

The State of Minnesota also suspended the license of a Princeton bar, with another facing a suspension.

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 10.54.41 PM

Health board votes to lift license suspension of bar that is staying open during shutdown

Havens Garden has remained open despite high levels of COVID-19 in the local area.