Someone who could surely handle a blazing-hot buffalo wings challenge sparked an apartment building evacuation when they threw some peppers on the stove for dinner.
There was never a fire, but numerous first responders showed up at an apartment building located at 3rd Ave. SW and 6th St. SW in Kasson on Monday afternoon, with Kasson Fire Chief Joe Fitch telling Bring Me The News that they received a 911 call from a tenant who was "feeling like there was smoke in the building" and it was impeding their ability to breathe.
What had happened was another tenant was cooking up dinner with peppers that Chief Fitch said "gave off an oil or smell in the air that burned your eyes and throat, making it hard to breathe."
"I have never had a call like this before in my 18 years with Kasson Fire," Fitch said.
Nobody was injured, but 15 people from five family units were evacuated.
"We did not find out what they were cooking for sure but it was some kind of sauce for their dinner. Very hot dinner," said Fitch.