Cases of salmonella poisoning linked to tainted cucumbers from California have been reported in Minnesota, part of a multi-state outbreak.
The Minnesota Department of Health announced Friday evening that 12 people in the state have come down with food poisoning, thought to have been the result of eating "slicer" or "American" cucumbers supplied by Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce in California.
Of the 12 cases – among them a child as young as 8 and a person aged 79 – 10 are believed to have eaten the contaminated cucumbers at five Red Lobster restaurants.
They became ill between Aug. 13 through Aug. 25, with six requiring hospital treatment.
Elsewhere in the country, the Associated Press reports that the outbreak is believed to have led to the death of a 99-year-old woman.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) notes there have been two reported cases in Wisconsin and one in North Dakota. Overall 27 states have confirmed cases, sickening 285 people, with half of those affected are under 18.
Andrew & Williamson, based in San Diego, has recalled its "Limited Edition pole-grown cucumbers," which were grown in Baja California in Mexico, are dark green, and between seven and 10 inches long.
Red Lobster pulls cucumbers
Red Lobster also pulled the cucumbers from its restaurants on Friday, even though most of the cases nationally haven't come from the restaurant. Some in Minnesota did receive the cucumbers though, as did "other Minnesota companies," the news release says.
"The restaurant chain has been a vital partner in the Minnesota investigation and has played an important role in helping to solve the national outbreak. Confirmed cases in other states involved grocery stores, retailers and other restaurants," it adds.
Not affected by the recall are the longer, plastic-wrapped "English" cucumbers, and "Persian" mini cucumbers.
Anyone who thinks they may have some of the tainted cucumbers should throw them away, and if you're unsure whether the ones you bought are from Andrew & Williamson, they should contact the place they bought them.
The CDC says that salmonella poona symptoms present themselves within 12-72 hours after being exposed to the bacteria.
Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps, with children under 5, adults over 65 and those with weakened immune system at higher risk of complications.