Monday's COVID-19 update from the Minnesota Department of Health includes 12,098 newly reported cases and 20 newly reported deaths. The state's COVID-19 death toll is now 11,411.
Today's update includes case data that was reported in a 24-hour period ending at 4 a.m. Friday, Jan. 27. Data from the weekend will be included in Tuesday's update.
Due to the omicron surge overloading the health department, there remains approximately 7,000 positive tests that are yet to be processed and included in the daily reports. As you can see in the graph below, the green represents the dates when the yet-to-be-processed tests were taken.
Minnesota's test positivity rate on a 7-day rolling average (through Jan. 18) was 22.3%, having been as high as 23.7% on Jan. 21. Anything over 10% puts Minnesota in the high-risk threshold for community transmission of the coronavirus.
Through Jan. 28, the number of people with COVID-19 hospitalized in Minnesota was 1,455 – down from the 1,502 reported on Jan. 27. Of those hospitalized, 208 people are in intensive care (down from 213) and 1,247 are in non-ICU care (down from 1,289).
The most ICU patients during the duration of the pandemic was 399 on Dec. 1, 2020.
The latest hospital capacity data shows there are 58 staffed adult ICU beds available in the entire state – up from 44 on Jan. 27 – and 17 pediatric ICU beds available, which is up from 16 on Jan. 27.
Vaccine, booster stats
As of Jan. 27, the state reported that 3,838,711 people have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 3,594,164 people have completed the vaccine series. The state has administered 2,030,586 third doses/booster shots.
The percentage of Minnesota's population with at least one shot, based on age group:
- 5-11: 37%
- 12-15: 64%
- 16-17: 67%
- 18-49: 72%
- 50-64: 80%
- 65+: 97%
- Total population: 68.8%
The percentage of Minnesota's population that have completed the vaccine series, based on age group:
- 5-11: 30%
- 12-15: 59%
- 16-17: 63%
- 18-49: 66%
- 50-64: 77%
- 65+: 93%
- Total population: 64.5%
Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers
- Total tests: 17,913,288 (up from 17,860,561)
- People with at least 1 vaccine shot: 3,838,711 (up from 3,834,471)
- People who have completed vaccine series: 3,594,164 (up from 3,590,276)
- People who have had a booster/3rd shot: 2,030,586 (up from 2,018,854)
- Positive cases: 1,321,753 (up from 1,309,665)
- Reinfection cases: 47,710 (up from 46,472)
- Deaths: 11,411 – 150 of which are *non-laboratory confirmed* (up from 11,382)
- Patients no longer requiring isolation: 1,248,912 (up from 1,234,930)
* Non-laboratory confirmed deaths are patients have COVID-19 listed on the death certificate, but no documented positive laboratory test for SARS-CoV-2.