The Minnesota Department of Transportation has revealed 188 road and bridge projects it will carry out statewide in the 2020 season.
MnDOT construction teams are unaffected by the governor's "Stay at Home" order and is preparing to embark on a series of major road projects during the warm months.
It's a good time to start given that traffic on state roads has reduced by more than 70 percent as Minnesotans stay home to prevent the spread of COVID-19, with MnDOT bringing forward the start of some projects to take advantage of this.
Among the major projects includes the already announced work on Highway 5 around MSP Airport, which will see the eastbound and westbound lanes closed for three months at a time between spring and fall.
Another major Twin Cities project will be the resurfacing of I-94 and ramps between Nicollet Avenue in south Minneapolis and Hwy. 280 on the St. Paul border.
A MnPASS lane meanwhile will also be added on I-35W northbound between Roseville and Blaine, while the interstate will also be repaved and several bridges repaired on the same stretch.
"It is critical that MnDOT continue its work to maintain and improve our state’s transportation infrastructure,” said MnDOT Commissioner Margaret Anderson Kelliher.
"A safe, reliable and multimodal transportation system is essential to keeping our state running in times of crisis. MnDOT construction projects will continue as scheduled and within the guidance set by state and federal health officials to prevent further spread of COVID-19. We are especially grateful to our employees and partners in labor and the private sector for working together and prioritizing safety for workers on project sites."
You can find a full list of projects here, and here's a look at some of the major ones planned:
Twin Cities metro
· Hwy 5 around the airport – Resurface Hwy 5 and ramps from Mississippi River to I-494
· I-94 Nicollet to 280 – Resurface I-94 and ramps between Nicollet Avenue and Hwy 280, add traffic management system and improve accessibility.
· I-35 Harris/Rush City – Resurface more than 8 miles between Harris and the Chisago/Pine County line, update drainage and improve safety.
· I-35W MnPASS North – Construct MnPASS Express Lane between CR C in Roseville and Lexington Avenue in Blaine, repave I-35W and ramps, repair and replace several bridges and install seven noise walls.
Northeast (MnDOT District 1)
· Hwy 61 Grand Marais – Reconstruct and resurface Hwy 61 from Cutface Creek to Hwy 14 through Grand Marais, including accessibility and drainage improvements
· Hwy 61 Grand Portage – Resurface Hwy 61 from Reservation Bay Road to the Canadian border
· Hwy 53/11 International Falls – Reconstruct Hwy 53 from Crescent Drive to 4 Street and Hwy 11 from Hwy 71 to Hwy 53 in International Falls
Northwest (MnDOT District 2)
· Hwy 1 and Hwy 32 – Between MnDOT, County, City and the Watershed there are eight different projects happening in the vicinity of Thief River Falls. MnDOT has coordinated with each of the agencies in order to limit the overall impacts through staging and shared detours.
· Hwy 72 in Baudette – Replace the International Bridge; this multi-year project will see the new bridge open later this summer. The old bridge will then be demolished and removed.
· Hwy 2 – Resurface between Bena and Ball Club, and construct new multi-use trail in Bena to improve pedestrian safety
· Hwy 200 near Laporte – Reconstruct and raise grade in order to improve safety and reduce flooding impacts
Central (MnDOT District 3)
· I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater – Resurface road, replace/construct bridges, add lanes and improve access along 39 miles of I-94
· Hwy 10 Wadena – Reconstruct Hwy 10 from Birch Avenue to east of County Road 4 in the city of Wadena; includes sidewalks, accesses and utilities
· Hwy 47 Isle to Ogilvie – Reconstruct 22 miles of road surface, improve road access and update drainage between Hwy 27/47 in Isle and Hwy 23 in Ogilvie. Replace two bridges near Ann Lake
· Hwy 24 Annandale – Reconstruct from Hwy 55 to Poplar Avenue in Annandale; includes pedestrian sidewalks and city utilities
West central (MnDOT District 4)
· Hwy 210 west of Fergus Falls – Reconstruct from west of I-94 to just east of the Otter Tail/Wilkin county line; resurface with concrete, widen shoulder on west end of project, construct turn/bypass lanes, truck inspection lane and install snow fence
· Hwy 28, 29, 114 Starbuck – Complete streets reconstruction in Starbuck; resurface, replace utilities, improve pedestrian accessibility and construct multi-use trail
· Hwy 28 Chokio to Morris – Resurface approximately 13 miles from Chokio to Morris; replace culverts, install snow fence near Morris; improve pedestrian accessibility in Chokio
· Hwy 55 bridge replacement – Replace bridge over the Pomme de Terre River near Barrett
Southeast (MnDOT District 6)
· Hwy 14 – Expand Hwy 14 to four lanes between Owatonna and Dodge Center
· Hwy 61 Lake City – Reconstruct Hwy 61 through Lake City
· Hwy 63/I-90 interchange – Replace Hwy 63 bridges; build or reconstruct two I-90 off ramps south of Rochester
· I-90 Austin – Resurface eastbound I-90 with concrete from Freeborn CR 46 to Hwy 105 in Austin
South central (MnDOT District 7)
· I-90 Fairmont – Resurface 16 miles of eastbound I-90 from Hwy 15 in Fairmont to the Blue Earth River
· Hwy 22/Hwy 111 Nicollet to Gaylord – Resurface 19 miles, construct snow fence in problem area, perform utility work in Nicollet
· Hwy 71 Jackson to Windom/Windom to Hwy 30 – Resurface and replace bridge
Southwest (MnDOT District 8)
· Hwy 23 Cottonwood to Granite Falls – Resurface with concrete 18 miles from Cottonwood to Granite Falls; realign Lyon CR 9 intersection in Cottonwood and construct several left-turn lanes
· Hwy 15 Hutchinson – Reconstruct downtown Main Street from 2nd Ave N to 5th Ave S; improve lighting and pedestrian accessibility; update city utilities; resurface Hwy 15 from 5th Ave S to CR 115
· Hwy 12/Hwy 40 Willmar Wye – Realign Hwy 12 and reconstruct Hwy 40 on the west side of Willmar; construct two roundabouts; construct a new rail line
· Hwy 12 Litchfield – Reconstruct Hwy 12 in downtown Litchfield; improve lighting and pedestrian accessibility; update city utilities