Noxious fumes from discovery of dead pigs sickens workers in Stearns County

It happened about five miles south of Sauk Centre in Stearns County.
Author:
Publish date:

Two men working in a barn in central Minnesota fell ill Wednesday night after finding a hoard of dead pigs. 

According to the Stearns County Sheriff's Office, a 27 year old from Osakis and a 31 year old from Glenwood were working in a pig barn at Fiedler Finishing, located at 34495 415th Avenue in Getty Township, around five miles south of Sauk Centre.

As they pumped manure inside the barn of around 5,000 pigs, they came across 50 dead pigs.

They opened curtains on the barn in an attempt to ventilate the odor, but they both wound up falling ill, with their symptoms often found in people exposed to hazardous gases. 

Fortunately, a hazardous materials response team evaluated the barn and found no hazardous gases. Instead, it's believed that the men were sickened by hydrogen sulfide, a gas that can be created as animal waste breaks down.

The hydrogen sulfide gas has also been blamed for the death of the pigs.

The owner of the barn told authorities that no other pigs were harmed. 

Follow Bring Me The News on Flipboard for the latest stories

Next Up

Related