Assisted-living facility resident died after swallowing chemical cleaner

The Duluth facility has been found responsible for the maltreatment of the resident.
Author:
Publish date:

An assisted-living facility in Duluth has been found responsible for the "maltreatment" of a resident who died after swallowing chemical cleaner.

A Minnesota Department of Health investigation found that Westwood of Duluth, an independent living facility that's part of the Benedictine Living Community of Duluth, made errors that contributed to the client's death.

The resident died three days after consuming a "caustic substance," which caused severe burns to the esophagus and stomach.

Westwood, the investigation found, "failed to implement safety precautions when the client had history of climbing over the kitchen gate," and "failed to otherwise secure chemical cleaners."

The male resident suffered from a form of dementia and had impaired judgement and cognition as a result of his condition.

He was however able to walk independently and was known to frequently step over the locked gate into the kitchen, where he would eat and drink foods and liquids that were left unsecured.

On the morning of the ultimately fatal injury, the resident came out of the kitchen holding a cup of liquid which he handed to an assistant, who noted he looked nauseous.

It turns out he'd consumed chemical cleaner that had been left unsecured in a kitchen cabinet under a sink.

Sign up: Subscribe to our daily newsletters

He then proceeded to vomit as he got back to his room, at which point he was sent to hospital, where medical staff realized he had suffered horrific injuries that they knew would prove fatal.

He was moved to comfort care at the hospital, before dying.

A finding of "neglect" was substantiated against Westwood, which in a statement to the Duluth News Tribune said it grieves with the resident's family.

"We have a long tradition of quality care and have taken this situation very seriously. We immediately launched an internal investigation, reported the incident to all appropriate agencies and cooperated with their investigations. Across our campus, we have evaluated and implemented additional safety and security measures to protect our residents."

Next Up

Adam Thielen

Vikings place Adam Thielen on COVID-19/reserve list

Thielen is coming off a two-touchdown game against the Cowboys.

MCF Oak Park Heights

COVID-positive inmate at Oak Park Heights prison dies

He becomes the fourth prison inmate to die from the virus.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 1.08.19 PM

2-ton smoker stolen from Twin Cities chef Thomas Boemer

Boemer is the chef behind restaurants including the popular Revival.

Governor Tim Walz

Walz says relief package is coming for Minnesota small businesses

Walz is prepared to call a special session and pass the package immediately.

Governor Tim Walz

Watch live: Gov. Tim Walz COVID-19 press conference Monday

Walz will be introducing a new app that helps Minnesotans track COVID-19 exposures.

Related

Care home resident died after ventilator stopped – and nobody noticed

The Minnesota Department of Health ruled the care home provider had been negligent.

Charges: Woman, 101, died in fall after care worker set chairlift 5 feet high

The 29-year-old employee of a facility in Redwood Falls has been charged with manslaughter.

long term care elderly

Coronavirus: There are outbreaks at 20 congregate living facilities in MN

These can include long term care homes, memory care facilities, and assisted living.

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 1.55.34 PM

2 injured after pool chemical leak in Burnsville

Residents in two of the buildings were evacuated.

Jacob Lavoie

Medical examiner confirms UMD student died from drowning

The 21-year-old from Inver Grove Heights was found several days after going missing.

Complaint: Care home resident fell in woods, lay there for 10 hours

The complaint against the Waseca facility was substantiated by state officials.

Water Gremlin

Company will pay $7M after releasing chemical linked to cancer

Water Gremlin had been releasing a chemical within a mile radius of its White Bear Township factory.