Publish date:

Nursing union withdraws strike threat after reaching deal with Children's Minnesota

Nurses had voted on Thursday in favor of strike action.

It appears as though the looming threat of a nursing strike at Children's Hospitals of Minnesota is over after union leaders struck a deal with the company on Friday.

The Minnesota Nurses Association announced Saturday morning it had reached a "tentative agreement" on a new three-year contract with the health system, and thus withdrew the threat of a strike.

It follows a 21-hour session between both sides' negotiators, that resulted in an agreement to address the rising cost of nurses' health insurance.

According to the MNA, the hospital agreed to cap the rate of increase of its most comprehensive insurance plan to match the increase the employer must play.

"No longer will nurses pay more of rate hikes than the hospital does," the MNA said, while Children's also agreed to pay 70 percent of the increase in rates for its second-tier plan, while nurses pay the remaining 30 percent.

They have also agreed to the largest wage increases they've had in a decade, with raises of 3 percent agreed for 2019 and 2020, and 2.25 percent in 2021.

This will help nurses "catch up with the cost of living," the MNA said.

The agreement will be put to nurses on Thursday, who will then vote on it. The MNA continues to negotiate with other Minnesota hospital systems, including Allina Health, North Memorial, and Fairview Health.

Follow Bring Me The News on LinkedIn

Next Up

Gopher Football

U of M-barrassed: Gophers shocked by Bowling Green

The Falcons snapped a 21-game non-conference winning streak in front of a homecoming crowd.

Andrew Wiggins

Andrew Wiggins applies for exemption to COVID vaccine, is rejected

Wiggins could miss a large chunk of the season without the vaccine.

CJ Ham

Vikings-Seahawks: 5 things you can count on happening

Can the Vikings finally beat Russell Wilson?

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Residents asked to be on the lookout for at-large suspect in Sauk Rapids

The suspect was last seen near the intersection of Garden Brook Drive Northeast and Strawberry Court Northeast.

Towerside Innovation District

Aquifer energy storage project wins financial backing of Mpls city council

It'll be used to power the Towerside Innovation District near the U of M.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 10.02.45 AM

Bomb threat prompts school evacuation in central Minnesota

A search of the building did not find any suspicious items.

Pexels - beer outside patio brewery

Brewery, taproom moving into former Twin Cities newspaper space

Loons Landing officially signed the lease this week.

Vic Richfield auto theft PD - rectangle crop

Police: Car with dog inside stolen from outside Twin Cities liquor store

They're asking people to be on the lookout for the vehicle.

John Hofer - Chisago County Sheriff's Office

Murder charge filed over inmate's death at Chisago Co. Jail

The man suddenly became unresponsive and died while in a holding cell.


Nurses vote to authorize strike at Children's Hospitals of Minnesota

Nurses are calling for improved insurance and wage conditions.

Nurses, Allina Health reach 'tentative deal' that could end long-running strike

A "tentative deal' has been struck between striking nurses and Allina Health after a mammoth negotiation with Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton.

Minnesota nurses are paying off medical debts for 1,800 families

It's a thank you to the community for supporting nurses in last year's strike.

Food workers that supply Delta planes at MSP vote to strike

Staff voted overwhelmingly to strike over wages and health benefits.

coronavirus, covid-19, drive-thru testing

Minnesota nursing union has 'reservations' over lifting of Stay at Home

The union says that too many nurses go without adequate PPE.