An off-duty volunteer firefighter has been hailed a hero as he helped rescue two men from a house fire, one of them a double leg amputee.
The incident unfolded on the 3900 block of Martin Road in the city of Rice Lake, St. Louis County, in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
Firefighters were en route to the scene when Ryan Linn, a volunteer firefighter for Normanna Township, noticed flames coming from the property.
Linn, 38, of Duluth, was on his way to work at the time, but stopped to make sure everyone had gotten out.
He found one man standing outside, and learned that two other were still inside.
One was just inside the doorway, with Linn pulling him out, but the man with amputated legs was deeper inside the home, which was filling with smoke and was becoming engulfed in flames.
Linn ran back in and found the man, carrying him safely outside the home.
"Linn's bravery and quick actions, undoubtedly saved the lives of one if not both of the men that were still in the residence when he stopped," the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office said.
The two men pulled from the house were treated for smoke inhalation, but are expected to make full recoveries.
The sheriff's office says that it's possible that portable propane heaters caused the fire, with police noting they're not intended for indoor use.
The house itself is a total loss.